Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users

TOPIC: folder structure to comicrack

folder structure to comicrack 1 year 3 weeks ago #46206

I am new to comicrack for windows but i already had a large comic collection organized in folders. Now i would like to use comicrack but it dumps all comics (about 8000) just in the library in one huge list.

Is there a way to have comicrack convert my folder structure to a set of comicrack folders or lists? I know there are plugins like vine scraper (that's running now) but that still doesn't orginize it all into folders. There are also alot of non english comics that those tools won't be able to label correctly.

any help would be apreciated
The administrator has disabled public write access.

folder structure to comicrack 1 year 3 weeks ago #46209

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 248
Think of ComicRack like a database. you can view the data ( in this case books) in multiple ways depending on how you use it. With that in mind have a look at the manual and while reading it remember that ComicRack doesn't really care where your files are.

Manual

Undoubtedly your existing folder structure is logical, so it is just a matter of viewing your collection with a similar logic. The reason we say scrape them, is because your logic no doubt hinges on publishers, date, writers etc and they are fields that you can organise by in the database once you have scraped your books.

Biggest thing for a beginner, at the top of your view is a grouping pull down. You can select up to three items by using control, which will quickly group your long list into manageable lists.

Bear in mind, you are currently so used to your folder structure you probably imagine that is the easiest and best way to view your books. Once you get used to ComicRack you will find yourself constantly changing your view, radically altering what you are viewing in your lists, depending on what you are doing at that moment.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by jkthemac.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AEnterprise

folder structure to comicrack 1 year 3 weeks ago #46211

the main reason i'm looking to get my folder structure in comicrack is that there is a large portion i have not read yet and don't know yet.

now there is no way for me in comicrack to for example see a list of all english super hero series i have to pick a new one to read, or dutch non super hero comics. a part of it i know but there are new series i don't know yet.

I could go through it all and manuly organize them (spending a few hours with regrexes and such from looking at the manual), i was just hoping there was an more automatic way.

especially after all this scraping, still have alot to go as this tool isn't fully recognizing most my collection or requires me to confirm that it is the right one for most of them

folder structure to comicrack 1 year 2 weeks ago #46215

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
I know exactly where you are on the learning curve. I was in that position once. But you are falling into a cognitive trap that the lack of folders in the main view somehow means you need to organise them within comicrack. You don't, you just need to make sure the data you need is in the relevant fields for each book and find the correct views to suit you. There is absolutely no reason you should need to build loads of manual rules to find books or to make lists to read or sync.

While you are feeling confused the folder view will help, but it is a bit of a barrier to learning how to use Comicrack efficiently. When I started I made loads of lists manually. I have deleted them all. Even if you still want to make smartlists based on your current folder structure you can do that without regex:

Yes scraping can take a while but there are efficient ways you can speed that up if you need to. For example CVINFO files in folders with only one volume or editing the comicvine_volume value for multiple books before scraping, or the Autocomplete Volume Values script if you already scraped some books in that volume.

You can also get the main info into your files by editing them manually. Select the whole volume and then edit the info with the name, volume and any other info you want to use, and then autonumber if that value is still grey.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by jkthemac.

folder structure to comicrack 1 year 2 weeks ago #46217

alright, for now i'll just let comicvine scrape them because in some folders there are multiple volumes, i plan on testing the library organizer plugin script and see if that also gives me a good folder structure, if so i can just make a folder for 'new' comics and have comicrack sort them in the right folders for me. it looks like that will also convert all the files from cbr to cbz, meaning metadata will be saved in the files itself.

i'm skiping files it can't identify with comicvine, from the manual i think i can make a smartlist to find those files and process them manually. The rest i'll see when i read them and correct if needed

folder structure to comicrack 1 year 2 weeks ago #46218

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
Good luck, we can help.
FYI See cross-posted additions.
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Who's Online

We have 190 guests and 5 members online