Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users

TOPIC: How to Remove Folders From Library?

How to Remove Folders From Library? 7 months 3 weeks ago #47321

I'm a big dummy. I accidentally added my main comics folder to my library. Which means every single subfolder is all under the same Library icon. Thousands of issues all within the section. I really need to undo this.

There's an option to add folders to your library, but is there any way to REMOVE folders linked to your library?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How to Remove Folders From Library? 7 months 3 weeks ago #47323

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
Use a smart list selecting based on File Directory, select them all, right-click, remove (without selecting Also move to recycle bin)
If you only want to remove subfolders let me know what the structure is and I will give further pointers.

Although why this would be a bad thing is beyond me. The whole point of ComicRack is to add everything. Why not?
Everything is always under the main library. that's what the library is for.
Last Edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by jkthemac.

How to Remove Folders From Library? 7 months 3 weeks ago #47325

Because I'd never look at it. I don't want every single folder under one header. There's no organization to that. If anything, I'd want an individual folder for each series. Not all of them under one Library banner, like I did.

So I managed to clear the Library but now I can't figure out how to add just a single folder into its own Library folder. For example, I tried adding a new folder named "Batman Adventures" and tried adding it JUST to that folder, but it won't let me. It keeps just adding it to the main Library folder.

Also, I want to be clear on something: I've probably never used Comic Rack to its full potential. I always just went into File Explorer, and double clicked on the individual issue I wanted to read. So I don't have a clue how to properly use the program, like sorting libraries or setting up reading lists.
Last Edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by ThatNickGuy.

How to Remove Folders From Library? 7 months 2 weeks ago #47332

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
I remember struggling with exactly the kind of thought process you are going through. But you are looking at ComicRack backwards, just as I did and just as many others have done over the years in these forums. The library tab isn't a folder. You can keep everything organised under it with no problem, it is all in the way you view your data.

But you need to think of ComicRack as a flat database, not as a structure. This is not even a relational database.

The Library tab is supposed to contain everything. And there is no reason whatsoever to have a tab for every folder. You can do that in the folder view anyway and I never use the folder view because that isn't how you use this software.

If that just sounds like this software is not for you then you are still not seeing it. PM me if it sounds wrong and I will try and find a way to demonstrate the shift in perception you need to get this working for what you need.

Regardless, any comics you add to the database will end up in the Library because that is a list of all of your comics. In the Library view you can order by up to three data fields. I order by Volume then Series usually, but you can shift the view at the click of a button.

If you order by Volume then Series you will have a long list of every volume, all tidied up. You can then filter the list by all sorts of criteria. I usually filter by Publisher then Series Group then Series, so I can very quickly turn the library view into a very short list of just what I want.
Last Edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by jkthemac.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wilber
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds

Who's Online

We have 198 guests and 3 members online