Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users

TOPIC: Assistance request.

Assistance request. 1 week 4 days ago #48263

Hi all,
I don't really know a better way to title this thread.
What I'm hoping to do is the following:
1) Install ComicRack on my external drive as a portable install. (I know how to do this).
2) Have it set up in a way so that other computers on my network that log into my computer can use that portable copy as if it is on their system. AKA have the full access I do from my system. I do not want to do the remote library because there are too many restrictions.
Can anyone tell me how I can go about doing this through the ini file or otherwise? Thanks!

-Lalla
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Assistance request. 1 week 4 days ago #48264

• rmagere
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
This is something I wanted to do but never quite managed.

Ultimately the way I ended up handling has been:
1) All files on my NAS (or external drive)
2) Map the folder with the comics to the A: drive on all computers I want
3) each computer runs it's local copy of comicrack (or they could run a remote copy) - the important thing being that as all of them have as A drive the comics folder they do not get confused
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lallatwittle

Assistance request. 1 week 3 days ago #48265

What you're suggesting is what we did run, (the secondary computer ran a remote copy) but we started having a lot of crashes. I had the comic library directory on my external and the portable on the same external in a different directory. I went into the INI file to redirect all appropriate attributes to my SHARE location rather than my local drive.
The second user would log into my computer using his account from his station and access it that way.
Things started crashing like crazy...

Assistance request. 1 week 3 days ago #48267

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
You might be able to take the xml file that stores the comics (usually in %appdata%\cYo\ComicRack\ComicDb.xml, but maybe somewhere else since you're using the portable option), and share that file back and forth instead. Use some sort of network sync utility to do automatic diffs on it and keep it synced up? So you'd have one 'pure' version that isn't directly accessed by an instance of ComicRack that each local version syncs up with, similar to version control systems. Might even be able to use Git to do this for you. IDK, seems like a lot of work, though.

Or have that xml in one location, but add an external 'lock' application to only allow one instance of ComicRack to be actually reading/writing it at one time? So essentially there would be a script to check if someone is already using comicrack, and if not open the local comicrack. If that script detects someone is using comicrack it won't start, or maybe it starts up but only allows the database to be read, not written to. I don't know if ComicRack has starting the DB in read-only mode as a command line switch.

If you're using the SQL option having each instance point to the same database might 'just work' utilizing the multi-user nature of SQL, but I'm not sure about that.

I would think the crashes are because I don't think there are any locks on the xml file, but it probably doesn't read it constantly (probably brings it into memory, then writes out periodically), and when it did that and the information was different between the two, the inconsistencies caused problems...? Or if both instances were trying to access the file simultaneously it confused ComicRack. However, just speculating.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lallatwittle

Assistance request. 1 week 2 days ago #48268

Interesting, thank you for the insight. I'll play around with it.
Time to create page: 0.295 seconds

Who's Online

We have 215 guests and 6 members online