Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users

TOPIC: Can I make ComicRack write information faster?

Can I make ComicRack write information faster? 3 weeks 4 days ago #48379

• chrisdukes
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Is it Wednesday yet?
  • Thank you received: 1
Basically, I added a lot of metadata and I want to speed up how fast ComicRack writes the information to the database and ComicInfo.xml files. Right now, it looks like it takes about 3 seconds. The Task Manager says the ComicRack's CPU usage is between 20-40%. Is this normal? Can it go faster? Also, I have Maximum Memory Usage set to "Unlimited".

Regardless, I still love this program. :woohoo:

Thanks,
Chris
Last Edit: 3 weeks 4 days ago by chrisdukes.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Can I make ComicRack write information faster? 3 weeks 4 days ago #48383

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 117
Something I discovered about a "similar" problem:

Everytime you make any change in any book, Comicrack does a completely rerun of all smartlist to do a refresh and to be sure the smartlist reflect the new changes...

This is a bit of an overkill, as 99% of the times it will change nothing, but it will not only calculate all of your library smartlist, but also rerun all the smartlist script you use for every smartlist that use them... If you use my scripts, for example, THAT IS A LOT OF PRESSECING the cpu will do, and as scripts don't run in a different thread than the main program, this means comicrack will stop doing anything till it finish this... This will only take a few seconds at worst, but if you use A LOT of smartlists and smartlist scripts that do heavy calculations (g^2 algorithms for example), then it will continue updating the next file, and start all over again and so on...

I have not found anyway to prevent this, but found something of a getaround... that can be a bit tricky and tedious, but you should try it:

I make all my smartlist depend on a main smartlist with a rule that always is true... then it returns everything in the library and it works for me as a library for other smartlist. This will take a bit of extra processing but if the rule is simple - "Series different than nothing" for example - it will not make a difference...

Then, and this is the trick, when I do something that will affect a huge number of comics (updating the inside information of 1000+ comics for example), I just invert the rule in this main smartlist, which makes this smart list and all my smartlists that depend on this one empty (all of them but the ones I use for what I am doing, for example smartlist with files to update). Now Comicrack will do what it always does, refresh ALL smartlist, but as they are empty, this will take <0,0001% of the time it used to take (from 2 seconds for example to 20 miliseconds in my case). This, for the human user, will not take time at all between each update, and you will run your changes smoothly...

I don't know if THAT is your problem specifically, IN MY CASE it was that, and I "fixed" it this way...

Everyday I think of a better way to do it without changing how Comicrack works, from inside my scripts, but I haven't found any better way than that yet...

I would try this method and see the differences... perhaps you are having this problem as I was...

Also, it could be you HDD is slow, remember everytime you change something, some formats rewrite all the file, which can take some time, but with the data you said about CPU usage, I think it is more of the other problem (or you are using some rare format and comicrack is uncompressing and recompressing all the info instead of just add the little bit of data you are changing)
Last Edit: 3 weeks 4 days ago by Xelloss.

Can I make ComicRack write information faster? 3 weeks 3 days ago #48389

• chrisdukes
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Is it Wednesday yet?
  • Thank you received: 1
Smartlist scripts?

Can I make ComicRack write information faster? 3 weeks 3 days ago #48390

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
The rules under the name "user scripts"
The following user(s) said Thank You: chrisdukes

Can I make ComicRack write information faster? 3 weeks 3 days ago #48392

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
Xelloss. I find if you keep Smartlists (especially ones with scripts) in closed folders then you don't get this problem.

I probably have less smart lists than most, because I like to use the database to categorise things and then make an on the fly smart list when needed, but i usually have seven in my main list and the rest (probably about 70 of which most i never use) in closed folders.

As long as the folder itself is marked as empty.

Of course there is a lot to be said for exporting lists and only importing them when you want them.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 3 days ago by jkthemac.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xelloss

Can I make ComicRack write information faster? 3 weeks 3 days ago #48393

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
jkthemac wrote:
Xelloss. I find if you keep Smartlists (especially ones with scripts) in closed folders then you don't get this problem

If that is true... that would be a gamechanger for me XD

Can I make ComicRack write information faster? 3 weeks 3 days ago #48394

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
This doesn't seem to be true... as I closed all folders where my smartlist are, and they keep refreshing and running user script even if not visible... D:

Edit: Ok, MY MISTAKE, you said "empty", I didn't know you can mark folders as empty in properties XD. YES, your solution is PERFECT for this, as you said, if it is marked as empty AND closed, it is as if they don't exist... this is great for this solution!

How is that you always know tips I don't know about comicrack? XD You should make a big tutorial with all this tips XD
Last Edit: 3 weeks 3 days ago by Xelloss.

Can I make ComicRack write information faster? 3 weeks 3 days ago #48395

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
I reordered all my smartlist folder tree and empty almost all folders... now it runs A LOT smoother without doing anything XD

Also, playing with the CR database (not the sql one, the xml one with the smartlist options) I deleted all data about display which made the xml from 41MB to 1MB (I am planning also in delete all filtered comics, which will reduce it to a few KBs). This also clean A LOT my CR Configuration :)
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds

Who's Online

We have 195 guests and 2 members online