Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users

TOPIC: Big collection management

Big collection management 11 months 5 hours ago #48636

• kino13
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
So, I have been using comic rack for a few years now, increasing my collection more and more...

At the moment I have around 90K comics, stored in an 8Tb disk running out of space.

I don't want to create a raid.

What other options do I have? Is there any way to have the collection splitted among two different locations? Is there an easy way to do that with Library Organizer?
----
Changing the subject now to WebP...

What is your experience (if any) with WebP? Do you use comicrack to make the conversion or some other external tool? What settings are you applying for a decent conversion?

Is there any smartlist to filter what comics in the collection have been converted already?

Thanks, and sorry if this questions have already been answered, I have been looking around but did not found exact answers to this.

Regards
with no power comes no responsibility. except that wasn't true
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Big collection management 10 months 4 weeks ago #48644

• Fuzzyluzzi
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 48
Your collection can be on as many different hard drives as you wish. The database, either XML or SQL will store the comic's location. This is why some get Red X's. The drive storing the comic isn't connected at the time it attempts to load.

I believe Library Organizer can be set to split them, but you would have to play with the settings, most likely multiple profiles.

Do a search. There have been multiple discussions about the pros and cons of WebP. Mainly, make sure your viewing device can read it. At the time, there was no easy way of marking them. I used the Export function built into CRW, and then Edited a custom boolean field. Or you can add a tag to the comic. Better to do this in smaller batches. If it stops mid-conversion, you won't know which to label without opening up each comic's info. Then just create a smartlist for that tag or field.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kino13

Big collection management 10 months 4 weeks ago #48646

• kino13
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for your reply, I will have to play more with the library organizer. I guess it shouldn't be difficult just to create a second profile and apply it only on DC/Marvel, that should be more than enough to clear the situation.

I have been playing with webp, I ended up using a compression level of 80, it is a bit conservative, and certainly I don't think that compressing an image already coming from a jpeg is a good idea, but... the results are there, about 40-60% of the size and I don't see any visual degradation.

It's a pity there's no way to filter them out in an easy way. Also it is quite dangerous that the export function will work on already converted files, risking high degradation in that case. I have had no problems with reading them, I guess that when wepb was created it took some time for the programs to catch up, but that is not an issue any more.

Regards

Big collection management 10 months 3 weeks ago #48670

• pueblo
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
If you're using windows for your storage take a look at StableBit DrivePool. I'm using it at home and it works great. It allows you to merge several different drives (different sizes, different types like usb etc) and display them as one drive letter in windows. Data is written in hidden folder on each drive so you can pull off drives from this pool anytime without loosing anything. For linux there is unraid but I don't have experience with it.

Big collection management 10 months 3 weeks ago #48671

• kino13
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for the suggestion. I am using a linux NAS (currently at 36Tb and growing), it is just that I would prefer not to create raids for now (I can't afford to waste the space).

I also have that option, to split a share among several drives, but in the case of a failure I don't wanna know what kind of mess would end up.

Obviously the only intelligent and SAFE solution will be migrating to a raid 5 or higher sometime in the future.

I have managed to clean up a lot, and I am (slowly) converting the collection to webp (quality 80). I think I will end up with around 5Tb, which is more manageable, and also allows me to have a couple copies just in case.

I have spent and absurd amount of time on this (the collection), I guess it is similar for all of us.

Big collection management 10 months 3 weeks ago #48676

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 267
the most effective way of using space is to reduce the filesize using export books. Most files have very inefficient settings, and a little experiment will find a better size.
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds

Who's Online

We have 131 guests and one member online