Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users

TOPIC: Afraid to donate in case my name/email address is sold to other companies :(

Afraid to donate in case my name/email address is sold to other companies :( 3 months 1 week ago #49378

Hi guys.. brand new to the forum so apologies if I unwittingly violate any rules or do something I shouldn't.

Also, apologies for the title of this thread which could be viewed as an insult to the comicrack creators, my sincerest apologies :( ... but it is a dilemma for me since I know other companies will sell info (my name, email address) for profit to other companies.. which is the only thing stopping me from making a donation given how often I use comicrack :(

Can anyone verify that I'm just being silly and that comicrack will not sell my personal info (name, email address) to anyone? :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Afraid to donate in case my name/email address is sold to other companies :( 3 months 1 week ago #49386

• rmagere
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
Would anything anyone say really help you? How do you expect any one of us to know if our email has been sold and if it has by whom it has been sold?

If you are really worried just create a fake address on gmail or whatnot and use it for comicrack only.

FYI I will not reply further to this topic as it does seem to be kind of troll-bait - I am not saying it is - just that it seems to be so take no offense by this comment.
Last Edit: 3 months 1 week ago by rmagere.

Afraid to donate in case my name/email address is sold to other companies :( 3 months 1 week ago #49387

(sighs)... no I'm not trolling, it's a genuine question ... one that I was hoping had been asked before on the forum before by someone else, and I was thinking maybe a moderator might have taken notice of it ... if a ComicRack employee stated that they don't do that (sell email addresses to other companies) I would taken the employee's word for it... from what I can see there's no way to contact them directly (maybe there is a way and I'm just not seeing it?) so that's why I resorted to the user forum.

As far as using a fake email address... I normally use paypal so I'm guessing I would have to use my "real" email address to donate. A bit nervous about using my "direct" credit card number with companies, I will do it if I have no other choice but will avoid it if possible (paypal hasn't let me down over the 17 years I've been using them).

It's really discouraging to see an attack like this come out of nowhere, especially from someone who's made so many posts (234 ) on the forum rmagere ... I did mention I was brand new to the forum and wasn't sure if I was breaking any unspoken rules here, which apparently I have.

Afraid to donate in case my name/email address is sold to other companies :( 3 months 1 week ago #49389

• Stonepaw
  • Thank you received: 273
Welcome to the forum and ComicRack! It's a fair concern with all the recent privacy issues and doesn't break any unspoken rules so don't worry.

Only the person who actually wrote the system and runs it could guarantee your worries but sadly cYo has not been around for a while.

I am not an employee, just been a volunteer here for a long time, but as far as I know there has never been any issues in this regard. I myself have never had any issues with getting unsolicited emails or payment issues related to ComicRack from the email address I use to register ComicRack. It is only used so that you have a way to restore your donated status if you need to reinstall or move to another computer. However, it is always up to yourself to trust something :)

I hope that helps and I hope you enjoy ComicRack.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrepartthree

Afraid to donate in case my name/email address is sold to other companies :( 3 months 1 week ago #49390

I'm going to apologize for my previous post.. I'm sorry for getting so upset.. it's just really upsetting when someone accuses you of trolling out of the blue when it's a genuine question... that's why I felt like I was being attacked out of nowhere.

Also just to be perfectly clear... what I said about my credit card number... no, I am not saying that I think comicrack would "steal" my credit card number... but there have been a lot of news reports about large companies (Target for one) being hacked and their credit card numbers stolen... which is why I try to stick to paypal whenever possible which means using my real email address, no reports that I'm aware of that paypal has been hacked in this manner. I would certainly hope no one would construe my previous statement to mean that I'm insinuating Comicrack would "steal" my credit card info to use for their own purposes but.. since what I say appears to be viewed in the worst possible light when I post something, I feel the need to explain myself in this regard.

Did I feel bad asking about whether Comicrack would sell my email address to other companies? Of course I did ! They've made this wonderful program available to us for free, they ask for donations but they don't require it (other companies make their "freeware" programs expire after a set period of time after using the program but not Comicrack, or at least I don't think so) ... if anything I felt really guilty when the "could you please donate to us" screen popped up after I'd used Comicrack for... 50th time or so I think ? ( I think that's what the pop-up said).

But it's true that companies are forced to sell user information (like email addresses) simply to stay financially afloat. As horrible as I felt even asking if Comicrack does that, it was a genuine worry on my part.

At this point I'm going to go ahead and donate to them, regardless of the question I initially asked at the start of this thread... but I will say that, while I can understand that others on the forum would be upset at my initial question... it would have been nice for people to at least give me the benefit of a doubt before jumping to conclusions. Especially someone who's new to the forum.

(sighs). Anyways, off to make a donation to Comicrack right now.

Afraid to donate in case my name/email address is sold to other companies :( 3 months 1 week ago #49391

Oh crap ! I wrote and posted my long lengthy "I'm going to apologize for my previous post" thing above before I even saw the moderator's (Stonepaw's) comment below ... I think I was in the middle of typing it at the same time Stonepaw was typing his/her reply :P , then I posted it without realizing the moderator had already replied to me... or at least I think that's what happened ? (scratches head and smiles). Apologies for the his/her thing don't want to assume anyone's gender (yes I definitely err on the side of being politically correct whenever possible :P ) ...

Stonepaw thanks very much for your kind words I appreciate it :) ...

Stonepaw wrote:
Welcome to the forum and ComicRack! It's a fair concern with all the recent privacy issues and doesn't break any unspoken rules so don't worry.

Only the person who actually wrote the system and runs it could guarantee your worries but sadly cYo has not been around for a while.

I am not an employee, just been a volunteer here for a long time, but as far as I know there has never been any issues in this regard. I myself have never had any issues with getting unsolicited emails or payment issues related to ComicRack from the email address I use to register ComicRack. It is only used so that you have a way to restore your donated status if you need to reinstall or move to another computer. However, it is always up to yourself to trust something :)

I hope that helps and I hope you enjoy ComicRack.

Afraid to donate in case my name/email address is sold to other companies :( 3 months 1 week ago #49394

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 183
Andrepartthree, there was nothing wrong at all with your enquiry. Honestly, I wish more people showed true concern about protecting their personal info in this digital age. I feel the whole "I have nothing to hide so who cares about privacy" mentality needs to be laid to rest so that we can all pressure companies and our governments to take protecting our privacy, identities and personal info to the level that nuclear weapons are protected. That's why hacking and misuse of identity and profiling data is so prevalent today.

As Stonepaw stated, only the owner of ComicRack has any knowledge of just exactly how your info is protected, yet I can also say that I haven't experienced any malicious or suspicious activity as a result of my donations over the years. Of course, as with any monetary transaction, there's some level of risk, yet I think you'd be fine. Welcome to the forum and hope you continue to enjoy using this awesome app.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrepartthree

Afraid to donate in case my name/email address is sold to other companies :( 3 months 1 week ago #49397

oraclexview thank you so much as well :) ... I'd actually looked through the forum trying to find some way to personally thank the creators of the program (for what my humble opinion is worth :P ) , only to find that, as stonepaw and yourself mentioned in your posts above, I completely misunderstood the situation.. if I understand correctly it's not a company per se that runs comicrack, it's one individual programmer :)

comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/7-general/39765-is-comicrack-dead

(though I could be wrong about that? :) ) ...

Thanks to you all here on the forum, both for helping comicrack "newbies" like myself out who know nothing about the details of the program and/or it's creator ... and thank for , on top of that from what I see in the thread I linked above (link to another thread on the forum here), also continuing the original programmer's efforts as far as this program is concerned, purely on a volunteer basis it looks like, not to mention helping out people who might be having technical "my computer decided it doesn't like comicrack because my PC decided it wants to temperamental :P " difficulties with the program again on a volunteer basis... very, very kind of you all :) ...

Afraid to donate in case my name/email address is sold to other companies :( 2 months 2 weeks ago #49454

• Drybonz
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Honestly, there's no way of knowing if the author of ComicRack would even get your donation. He hasn't been by this forum for a couple of years. For all we know he took an expedition deep into the Amazon and fell in love with a native and denounced the modern world, staying there to live out the rest of his days.

Who knows?

Afraid to donate in case my name/email address is sold to other companies :( 2 months 2 weeks ago #49456

(chuckles).. this has to be the funniest post on this thread ever thank you for that :) ... I was wondering about that myself but.. I guess at least I tried so I can use the program with a clear conscience now? :) ... thank you, again got quite a chuckle out of your reply :)
Time to create page: 0.488 seconds

Who's Online

We have 157 guests and one member online