Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users

TOPIC: Dealing with complex crossovers

Dealing with complex crossovers 4 months 4 weeks ago #49452

Hello!
Since the last time I posted and got a useful answer, I thought I would pick your brains again with another conundrum I have.
I've been setting up rule sets in data manager for my DC comics and Zenescope things, and all that is going great.

However, now I am entering the realm of indie publishers....And crossovers.....And I have no idea how to even begin organising them

For the DC comics, I have setup a simple system: Alphabetical/ Series Group: Main character (Publisher) / Series/ Format/ Volume or Year
I am using tags for story arcs, etc.

Now, I am dealing with titles like Vampirella (Mostly Dynamite), Red Sonja (Dynamite), Witchblade (Top Cow), Avengelyne (Maximum Press), Darkchylde (Maximum Press/Image), Spawn (image) and Lady Death (Chaos Comics)

1.I had thought to put crossovers of characters from the same publisher using the first named character as the Series group), e.g. Vampirella and Red Sonja would be in the Vampirella folder.

2. I thought with crossovers from different publishers to place them in the character folder under whom the title is published, e.g. Vampirella and Witchblade, published by Dynamite, would be placed in the Vampirella folder, or if published by Top cow, in the Witchblade folder.

So, my questions: Can anyone suggest a better system for dealing with crossovers like this? I have toyed with the idea of creating a Data MAnager rule set for crossovers like this where I set the crossover defining the publisher as a Series Group, e.g Dynamite/Top Crossovers, but I think this would be confusing. Secondly, is it possible or even necessary, to define multiple publishers for a one-shot in Data Manager.

Forgive me if this issue has been addressed before. I have searched, but not quite found a situation resembling mine, and I am not in the best of health at the moment.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Dealing with complex crossovers 2 months 2 weeks ago #49796

• tigerpuffs
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I know it's been a while since you asked this, but I figured that I'd answer anyway. I'm new to comics, so I've kinda developed my own way of dealing with things. I love the reading list/virtual folder feature of ComicRack and use that almost exclusively, especially since I do most of my reading on my tablet.

For organizing within ComicRack itself, I use Series Groups for major continuity changes, different major publishers and then to separate out all the random stuff I have. So I have DC Pre Crisis, DC Post Crisis, DC New 52, etc. I don't have a lot of Marvel, so it's all in one series group.

I have 2 random series groups, Random (standalone) and Random (reading lists). For complicated crossovers that don't fit into my main publisher series groups, I put all the random stuff I don't normally collect into Random (reading lists) and then just build a reading list for the crossover, or into my main reading list for that character/world. As an example: I was building a reading list for Supreme, which has several crossovers within its universe. Supreme has several volumes across several publishers and writers, so he wouldn't really fit into any of my defined groups, and neither would the crossover issues. I put the whole thing into Random (reading lists), and then just built a reading list for his whole run. Now I don't have to look at all the random issues and volumes and have to figure out what goes where, when I want to read Supreme, I can just go to the list and it's all right there. I did the same thing for Warlord of Mars, Red Sonja, and others that have multiple volumes and crossovers. I know where they are, but don't feel compelled to sort them into more granular series groups because I can find them in 2 clicks inside their individual reading lists. And if you want to find something inside the main library, you can always use the search or filters to locate it quickly!

For simpler series, I just put them into my Random (standalone) series group. This includes single volume series and standalone graphic novels, art books that don't fit anywhere else, stuff like that.

I use the series field to define series and volume by date, so there's Superman (1986), Superman (2011), Superman (2016) as the series names. It helps define different volumes at a glance inside ComicRack and my file system without having to specify volume 1,2,3, etc, because I got frustrated by volumes that weren't clearly defined.

Here's a link to an imgur post of a few screenshots I made to help show what I've done. https://imgur.com/gallery/wojFQOl
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds

Who's Online

We have 181 guests and 3 members online