Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users

TOPIC: Smart List order changes every time I open it

Smart List order changes every time I open it 2 months 3 weeks ago #49457

• plipplop
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,

When I create a Smart List, the order in which books appear is different each time i open the list, even when sorted by Position.

For example, here's the same list opened twice in a row, without changing it :

I'm using Smart Lists and not regular reading lists because I want to them to be populated automatically (for example, if I'm missing a miniseries, I still want it to be included in the Smart List in the correct position, so it will be automatically added when I eventually add the books to the library).

I've attached the list I've created so you can have a better idea of what I'm trying to do. Is there a way to make sure the order always stays the same?
Attachments:
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by plipplop.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Smart List order changes every time I open it 2 months 3 weeks ago #49460

• plipplop
  • Fresh Boarder
Okay so I managed to partially solve the problem.

I wrote this script that takes a range of numbers and forces books to be sorted. You can use it like this:
Match All
{
    [Series] equals "Haunt",
    [User Scripts] Sorted numbers "6" "12"
}

You can also swap the numbers to sort by descending order.

To use this script in an existing Smart List, you can use a text editor that supports regular expressions to replace:
[\[Number\] in range "([0-9]+)" "([0-9]+)"
with:
[User Scripts] Sorted numbers "$1" "$2"

However, the order is not preserved when using quick search or when filtering using the Search Browser (Shift+F8). I believe this is due to the way the search feature works (it doesn't appear to respect the order in which books are listed, even for regular lists) and cannot be solved with a script. This is annoying to me because I want Smart Lists to include both French and English versions of comic books (so both are sorted the same way), then use the Search Browser to filter by language while preserving the order. Since I don't do this often, as a workaround, I can copy/paste the Smart List then add a rule to filter by language and delete the list when I'm done.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by plipplop. Reason: Fixed the script

Smart List order changes every time I open it 2 months 3 weeks ago #49461

• rmagere
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
Is there a specific order you are looking for?
Related but it shouldn't matter - is there a reason why you want all the single issues from all your english comics displayed rather than using the grouping function?

Asking as I also deal with multiple language comics but never quite came across this issue - even when dealing with identifying duplicates and/or arranging/sorting comics taking into account or not of the language.

If I could understand better what you are trying to achieve might have a suggestion on how I handle it in my workflow.
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by rmagere.

Smart List order changes every time I open it 2 months 3 weeks ago #49462

• plipplop
  • Fresh Boarder
Related but it shouldn't matter - is there a reason why you want all the single issues from all your english comics displayed rather than using the grouping function?

Sorry, I think you misunderstood. I don't want a list of all comics in English (or any other language), I want a list of all English (or French) comics from a particular smart list, in the same order as if I didn't filter by language.

See the screenshots in my first post. I created a Smart List for Spawn based on a reading order I found online. I have all issues in English but only about 100 in French, including a few miniseries. When I open the list and select "All languages" (top left of my screenshots), the order in which comics are displayed is correct (even though I have duplicates because of the two languages). But when I filter by language to only display French or English versions, the reading order is lost.

You can try for yourself easily. Create a Smart list matching a range of books of which you have multiple versions. You'll end up with something like:
  • Issue 1 (English)
  • Issue 1 (French)
  • Issue 2 (English)
  • Issue 2 (French)

And so on. When you filter the list by language (with the Search Browser, not with a Smart List rule), the order will be completely random each time (sort by Position). Filtering also appears to mess with the order on regular non-Smart lists.

Sorry if I'm not clear, I am on mobile and don't have access to my library right now, so I'm explaining all by memory.

I want to do this so that if I add more translations in my library, they are automatically added to the list for the series, and I don't really want to maintain a separate Smart List for each language.
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by plipplop.

Smart List order changes every time I open it 2 months 2 weeks ago #49471

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 267
There has always been an inconsistency with the way smart lists use position. It is easier to use a separate field, either the Alternate Number field or a custom field. Depending how you do this it can be time consuming. It can be partly automated with the Autonumber Wizard and Data Manager.

I would use a Data Manager rule to store any existing Alternate Number data into another field.
Then use the Autonumber Wizard using Alternate Number.
Then use a Data Manager rule to copy this order to a Custom field and copy back the temporarily stored data.

A quick and dirty way to do it is just drag all of your smart list into a simple list and then filter. Simple lists maintain position data.
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by jkthemac.
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds

Who's Online

We have 190 guests and 2 members online