Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users

TOPIC: How to make a smartlist for finding jpg files

How to make a smartlist for finding jpg files 4 months 1 week ago #49798

• tigerpuffs
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi!

I've just about decided to convert all my comics into webp. I already convert everything to cbz when I get it, and I made a smartlist to find the cbr files in my library to make that easier. I would like to make a smartlist to find jpg files within the comic files so I can convert new stuff as needed after I finish converting the whole library. Is there a way to do this? I've tried, but I don't really know how to script or do complicated smart list stuff.

Thanks in advance!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How to make a smartlist for finding jpg files 3 months 3 weeks ago #50007

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 151
I don't think you can do this without coding your own smartlist script... and that would required using compressing libraries to open the files...

I have done something similar to extract the crc of image files in one of my scripts...

How to make a smartlist for finding jpg files 3 months 3 weeks ago #50020

• rmagere
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
The solution I am using (which was mentioned in another post) is as follows (steps 3 and 4 I have added after a few surprising conversions):
  1. Export to webp but make sure I use cb7 format
  2. As nobody uses cb7 this is a sure way to know that the file has already been converted to webp
  3. Make sure I duplicate the file rather than replace as I found some conversions have cb7/webp files larger than cbz/jpg
  4. Use duplicate manager to keep the smallest file (as long as difference is more than 15% - minimum in my mind to justify the less common format)

How to make a smartlist for finding jpg files 3 months 3 weeks ago #50021

• tigerpuffs
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
That's an interesting solution, thanks!

How to make a smartlist for finding jpg files 3 months 6 days ago #50173

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 267
I would think hard about exactly why you are choosing webp. It is an over-hyped format. I have seen very little difference between careful jpg compression choices and webp. Indeed I have yet to see a webp file that couldn't be duplicated by good jpg compression, and I have seen some poor webp files. While webp is now gaining traction, it is far from universally compatible.

So why use it? It will take a very long while to do your whole library if it is big, and it will end up close to the same or worse than just re-compressing the jpgs to a more sensible size and compression ratio.

A more focused alternative is to find any high filesize to page count ratios and resizing the pages to the maximum needed and squeezing the compression to a sensible setting. This always saves me lots of space with no noticeable difference in the files.

My Settings for JPG:
For books I care about I choose jpg quality of 85 % with a maximum width of 1988 pixels, and for those I don't mind being compressed a little more I chose 75%. Both result in totally readable files with the lower quality files having slightly less text sharpness. I perform this compression on every file when I first get the files because most files are needlessly large.
Last Edit: 3 months 6 days ago by jkthemac.

How to make a smartlist for finding jpg files 3 months 5 days ago #50174

• Oberon1464
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
@jkthemac:

Hi, could you explain why you specifically choose a width of 1988 pixels? I'm looking at ways to reduce my library and was wondering why this number?

How to make a smartlist for finding jpg files 3 months 2 days ago #50197

don't care =))))
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

Who's Online

We have 135 guests and one member online