Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users

TOPIC: What exactly does export to .cbz do?

What exactly does export to .cbz do? 2 months 1 week ago #49868

Hi everyone,
This is less of a noob question than it may sound.
I've been a comic rack user for a number of years, never had any issues I couldn't eventually figure out but I am stuck right now. - just figured out a fix if not root cause!

I regularly do a backup of my collection to my NAS.
On my latest attempt a small portion (dozens out of hundreds) of my files would fail, with an out of space error and "0 bytes is need to copy this item".
Well,
- it isn't out of space (tons of space left)
- also isn't permissions, or quotas etc...
- It isn't the backup software - a straight file copy has same error.
- I can copy to other drives, such as USB, or one drive (unfortunately don't have other network locations to test)
- It only happened to files where I recently would have updated the comic info that is saved to the cbz.
Now,
- I managed to reproduce after taking the original file ( which would copy to the NAS fine), and only doing a convert to cbz on it (it then would not copy)
- I then turned off one of the export flag options (write comic info) -and re-exported to .cbz and it now worked!
-I then turned that flag BACK on - and now if I reexport to cbz all the problem files -they still work!

So - I'm not sure what I learned. Seems like my export function was doing something odd for a while - but now seems to be ok.
Has anyone encountered anything similar? ( I could not find evidence in the archives).
My only guess is that the data written to the .cbz was in some way corrupted that would prevent me from copying to some file systems (my NAS is unix based).

I'm interested in anyone's thoughts - and maybe this will help someone else down the road.

-mrPassenger
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by mrPassenger. Reason: providing new information, clarifying
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What exactly does export to .cbz do? 1 month 3 weeks ago #50032

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
I am not sure if this is related to the "comic files dissapearing" that is reported elsewhere in the forums, in which for yet unresolved reasons (AFAIK), Comicrack, while autoupdating cbz files, sends them to a temporary folder, removing them from their oiginal location...

What exactly does export to .cbz do? 1 month 3 weeks ago #50036

• Dereck
  • Fresh Boarder
mrPassenger wrote:
My only guess is that the data written to the .cbz was in some way corrupted that would prevent me from copying to some file systems (my NAS is unix based).

This would be my guess as well. Whenever I have a corrupt file or a file that won’t allow me to save any changes that I scrape to it I just re-create the file and 99% of the time that fixes the problem for me.

I open up the problem file with WinRAR, and then extract only the .jpg images to a Temp folder.
I then select all of the extracted images, right-click, and select “Add to archive…”. I then name the file and give it a .cbr extension.
I then use ComicRack to convert the file to .cbz, scrape the file, and that’s it.

I’ve noticed that most of the problem files I come across have nested folders in them.
When I create a new file there are no folders in them, just .jpg files and the ComicInfo.xml file which contains the scrapped comic info.
Time to create page: 1.206 seconds

Who's Online

We have 163 guests and 4 members online