Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users
  • Page:

TOPIC: How exactly does the scanning library feature work

How exactly does the scanning library feature work 9 years 10 months ago #460

• dfuse
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Regularly adding new comics is getting really irritating, I always move the physical file to my collection, then add the comic in comicrack, one by one... I would really like to use the scanning features but I can't figure out how? I've added my library folder to the eComic folder, but it seems that it doesn't work recursively, I have a subfolder for each series, and they often have subfolders themselves. It's almost impossible to add all those folders one by one to the library. Plus I want comicrack also to find comics when I add a new folder to my library.
The options regarding this in the behavior tab of the preferences are also a bit vague, for example what does 'Add eComics to the library' do? Or maybe I don't understand those options because it seems there are some titles missing in the behavior tab? I see several sections of options only separated by a light grey line.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:How exactly does the scanning library feature w 9 years 10 months ago #467

• thavinci
  • Fresh Boarder
This is actualy realy simple. Just right-click on libray.
Here you have several options. Try making a new smart list. Call it it the name you give your commics. for example: spider-man.

Now you have a basic smart list, which has statement like : all is amazing spiderman. (so all your comics which have =spider-man in there info wil be shown. Right click on that smart list and you can edit the statement. For Example : series is Amazing Spiderman. Not the list will only hold the amazing spiderman.

Like this way I made f.a. a folder called : crossovers in which i made some smart lists which have statements like
\"alternate series - contains - Civil War\". This way i can read this crossover although there devided in several maps on my computer.

note : You have to add the path to your commics folders. Do this by Edit > preferences. Add the rootfolder of your commics collection.

Re:How exactly does the scanning library feature w 9 years 10 months ago #468

• dfuse
  • Senior Boarder
thavinci, thanks for you answer, I fear however that I may not have been very clear in my question. I did not know you could do what you just explained, but it doesn't solve my problem. What are you saying can be accomplished when comics are already added to the library, my problem is adding them to the library.

I just want Comicrack to automatically add any new comics in any subfolder (recursively) of my root folder (eg f:\comics) to the library whenever I add some new .cbr files in a folder somewhere within f:\comics. It works fine when I place a file in f:\comics, but not when I place it in f:\comics\batman.

Re:How exactly does the scanning library feature w 9 years 10 months ago #469

• thavinci
  • Fresh Boarder
Comicrack automaticly refreshes itself at the start, and then also when you add comics while comicrack is running you can hit File > Scan e-comics folder.
Last Edit: 9 years 10 months ago by thavinci.

Re:How exactly does the scanning library feature w 9 years 10 months ago #470

• dfuse
  • Senior Boarder
Yes, but it doesn't seem to do this recursively, I want to know if I'm doing something wrong, or if I can go the feature request section of the forum :)

Re:How exactly does the scanning library feature w 9 years 10 months ago #472

• blacklist
  • Fresh Boarder
Hm, this is an interesting issue - what file system are you using? I've got a root y:/comics with 30-40 subdirs and each of them with subdirs, and comicrack seems to find everything just fine.

There are 2 ways to make comicrack scan that I know of. The first is scan at startup, which I don't use, since I have a very large collection and don't want it to scan everytime I start the program.

The other is a manual scan File->Scan eComics Folders, which scans (recursively for me) any of your ecomics folders listed in preferences.

Not sure this helps, but maybe we can isolate the behavior some.

Re:How exactly does the scanning library feature w 9 years 10 months ago #485

• dfuse
  • Senior Boarder
Hey Blacklist, thanks for the reply, I'll give some more details:

plain ntfs on an external drive, rootfolder is f:/comics and that's the one I added to the eComics folder list, the checkbox is checked. The rootfolder contains 678 folders, counted recursively.

I add a new comic to for example f:/comics/avengers/initiative. I go to file -> scan ecomics folders. Nothing happens! No harddrive activity at all. Now when I add a comic to f:\comics it does work, which led me to believe that recursive scanning doesn't work, but if it works for you it should work for me too. It's pretty obvious I won't be adding 678 folders manually to the eComics list :) So that's my problem right now...if ComicRack would be open source I could debug it ;)
Last Edit: 9 years 10 months ago by dfuse.

Re:How exactly does the scanning library feature w 9 years 10 months ago #487

• blacklist
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah, I think cYo may need to chime in on this, I can't imagine why the recursive scanning isn't working. I've got a NTFS network drive with 5000 or so comics in 112 directories, some 1-2 levels deep with subdirs.

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling? It seems some people are having some undefined issues with the latest version - maybe going back to 9.6.0?

Re:How exactly does the scanning library feature w 9 years 10 months ago #488

• dfuse
  • Senior Boarder
This feature never worked for me, and I've been using ComicRack for about 6 months now I think, so I don't think it's something with the latest version. Can't imagine though why it wouldn't work for me...

On a possibly related topic, do you know what the 'Add eComic to library' means in the preferences? I tried it with that option checked/unchecked but it made no difference. Any idea how we can bring this to the attention of cYo?

Re:How exactly does the scanning library feature w 9 years 10 months ago #489

• blacklist
  • Fresh Boarder
I believe that \"Add eComic to library\" is referring to when you open a new comic from outside ComicRack (from explorer, for instance) - do you want that comic to be automatically added to the library, or do you only want to add comics that are found during scans?

I have this unchecked, since I often open things up before I have them sorted into their final home, and adding everything I open would end up leaving a lot of orphans in the database.

As far as cYo goes, I'm not sure what his priorities are as far as development goes - where he's headed next or what he sees as important for development.

I would personally like to see a development tree branch off to use SQL as the database, and perhaps a bit more file management/organization of my collection. Oh, and maybe curb the memory usage - mine seems a bit bloated.

Regardless, I think cYo has the most remarkable eComic reader out there :)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds

Who's Online

We have 157 guests and 5 members online