Welcome, Guest
Try to get help from other ComicRack users
  • Page:

TOPIC: How exactly does the scanning library feature work

Re:How exactly does the scanning library feature w 9 years 10 months ago #490

• dfuse
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I certainly agree with the fact that ComicRack is amazing! I don't understand everyone recommending CDisplay everywhere...

Thanks for the explanation of that option, so it is unrelated to my problem.

I'm not a fan of going to mysql, but I've posted my objections on the same post where you made the feature request to go to mysql :) I want to add something though: in order to do what comicrack does with the library data, it needs to load all information into memory anyway, so imho it doesn't matter how that data is persisted.
Memory usage seems a bit bloated indeed, even when holding all the library data into memory. But again, without comicrack going open source we won't know why it uses so much memory (maybe something to do with the environment, IronPython?, I'm a Java developer myself btw)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:How exactly does the scanning library feature w 9 years 10 months ago #494

• blacklist
  • Fresh Boarder
I suppose you're right, in whatever format the data lives, it ends up the same result. The sorting options are the real strength of CR, imo - I think the database connector to comicbookdb.com got me all revved up for a true, distributed, community solution.

Tie in reviews, user commentary... a wiki? Reading a comic and want to know the history of a character? Click the wiki and read away. Then reverse that, and show all appearances of that character AND the link directly to the comic if its in your collection. THAT'S powerful.

On linux there is an itunes competitor that does the same thing for music - called Amarok (check it out if you run linux, its amazing).

Problem is I'm great at ideas, but no time for execution ;)

Re:How exactly does the scanning library feature w 9 years 10 months ago #502

• dfuse
  • Senior Boarder
Indeed the sorting with stacks and lists is the true power of comicrack. (plus the fact that you can gaze upon all the covers of your comics collection ;))

Yeah I've used Amarok before but didn't like it that much, a bit overwhelming and it took me a long while to figure out why it didn't play my mp3's!! (mp3 support is disabled by default, and no message is shown, at least on Ubuntu that is)

Powerful features indeed you suggest, I normally just use Wikipedia :) But call me paranoid if you will, ever since Demonoid and Z-CultFM went down I'm a bit wary of drawing attention to everything related to comics, even comic book readers. I wouldn't be surprised if they would sue your ass off after they'd find out about something like that.

Re:How exactly does the scanning library feature w 9 years 10 months ago #503

• dfuse
  • Senior Boarder
But I still haven't found out how to get the recursive scanning to work :(

Re:How exactly does the scanning library feature w 9 years 10 months ago #505

• blacklist
  • Fresh Boarder
I never used Demonoid, but I hated to see ZCult go. The result is that I discovered DC++, however.

As far as recursion goes, though - I've got to assume its something to do with your local set up. Have you tried moving a few files locally and seeing if it works that way?

Re:How exactly does the scanning library feature w 9 years 10 months ago #513

• dfuse
  • Senior Boarder
Pff I don't know what else to do, I've decompiled the source code to C# to see what happens, and written a similar test program. My test program detects all changes immediately within any subdir of my comics folders.

I've just added c:/test to the eComics folders, and added a comic to c:/test/test2 and that did work! But I've got no idea how to make it work for my real comics folder though...
Last Edit: 9 years 10 months ago by dfuse.

Re:How exactly does the scanning library feature w 9 years 10 months ago #514

• dfuse
  • Senior Boarder
Pff I don't know what else to do, I've decompiled the source code to C# to see what happens, and written a similar test program. My test program detects all changes immediately within any subdir of my comics folders.

I've just added c:\test to the eComics folders, and added a comic to c:\test\test2 and that did work! But I've got no idea how to make it work for my real comics folder though...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds

Who's Online

We have 242 guests and 2 members online