Welcome, Guest
Share your ideas

TOPIC: comic metadata in sidecar file

comic metadata in sidecar file 7 years 1 month ago #10450

• willyu34
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi, I am new to ComicRack and so far I really like this program. The only problem is that I prefer to use rar files as my archive option because I usually include a 3% recovery in case the archive is messed up in the future. After some searching I know that ComicRack is unable to store meta data in rar because Rarlabs require an expensive license. Thus the file meta data is stored in alternative streams on windows system and could be potentially lost when moving.

I am just wondering if cYo has considered using sidecar file for storing metadata or provide that as an option besides in-archive metadata file and alternate stream.

A more or less famous example is Adobe Lightroom. Adobe provides sidecar file as an option for RAW camera files because you shouldn't write into the RAW files. In addition to that, the sidecar file is a text xml file, which allows for other developers to have quick access to the meta data.

For ComicRack, I don't know how the application is structured, but it already perform the function of exporting meta file in a text file to be written into archives. What cYo need to do is to use the same function, instead of writing into archive, output to the directory with the same name as the archive name with extension .sidecar.

The application itself will have to know to look for .sidecar when it cannot find metadata inside archive or alternate stream.

Would that be hard to implement? Not only will this solve the rar/metadata problem, it will provide enhanced function for all archive type while providing new interface for programmers.

What do everyone think? :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: comic metadata in sidecar file 7 years 1 month ago #10458

• quidam
  • Platinum Boarder
  • not for nom
  • Thank you received: 23
Well, as an option, I don't see why not save metadata to the same folder as the comic with as filename.xml

I personally don't like rar/cbr format. I try to convert to cbz as soon as I edit metadata.

Recovery data? I'm not that convinced it's worth it. Maybe because I've never experienced broken comic archives after downloading them properly form internet. ;)

Re: comic metadata in sidecar file 2 years 7 months ago #41963

• drdownload
  • Fresh Boarder
Has anybody an update on this topic, it would be a nice backup for damaged databases or if you move your library outside of CR.

I also have a lot of CBR Comics and PDF Magazines and I'm not conviced that converting everything to cbz is always the way to go (quality, hassle, flexibility)

I found something in the release notes comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/32-news-and-...crack-09143-released, but no further explanation.
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Who's Online

We have 292 guests and 5 members online