Welcome, Guest
Share your ideas
  • Page:

TOPIC: Minor suggestions

Minor suggestions 11 years 3 months ago #1507

• Quaraxkad
  • Senior Boarder
I have a couple simple change/improvement ideas that aren't worthy of their own individual threads:

1. When you have an Info dialog open and press Next or Previous, the selected list item does not update. If you select issue 1, go to the Get Info screen, and press Next, issue 1 is still selected in the background even though you are now editing issue 2. Can the list be synchronized?

2. The drop down lists for Publisher and Imprint (maybe others as well) are not alphabetized and can be a chore to scroll through when they get longer.

3. When you single click on a selected item, a text-box pops up allowing you to edit the field, but the default width matches the width of the current contents. Can the default size match the width of the appropriate column?

4. When you edit a single file, the two top right fields are "Number" and "Of". These fields switch place with "Month" and "Year" on the batch edit dialog. Ideally, each window layout should be the same to make it easier for the user to get accustomed to where each field is for faster editing.

5. Automatic padding or stripping of 0's in the number field(s).

6. I like that you are able to edit any field straight from the details view, but I have something to make it more useful. F2 is a standard shortcut for renaming, so it would be nice to use it for editing fields in the list. Single-click the field you want to edit and press F2 instead of pausing and clicking again. When single-clicking twice over a field, it's easy to click too fast and have it interpereted as a double click. It also doesn't register if you move the mouse too far between clicks.

7. Another simple update for the details list view text boxes: When editing a field and then pressing enter, automatically open up another text box for that field on the next comic in the list OR the next field of the same comic (allow the user to choose which behaviour).

8. The Filename column does not include the file extension, I would like to see it included so I can easily see what archive format each issue uses. It could be user-selectable between with or without the extention or an extra column showing the archive type based on extention.
Last Edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Quaraxkad.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Minor suggestions 11 years 3 months ago #1509

• AlucardNoir
  • Senior Boarder
  • MangAnime Vampire AlucardNoir
i second this list except 5, i already have a problem with CR not identify the volume correctly [and i've tried everything from V1, V01 and V11 and CR just ignores them] so i hope some of these get implemented soon
MangAnime Vampire AlucardNoir

Re:Minor suggestions 11 years 3 months ago #1511

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 683
thank you for your suggestions

1) done
2) done
4) done

8) the path contains the extension

Re:Minor suggestions 11 years 3 months ago #1512

• Quaraxkad
  • Senior Boarder
cYo wrote:
thank you for your suggestions

1) done
2) done
4) done

That was quick, thanks!

cYo wrote:
8) the path contains the extension

But it also shows, well, the path. That takes up alot of space, and if you shrink it down to a nice size, you can't see the extension anymore because the column is left-aligned.

Here are a few more things...

9. When I have a comic open and I want to close it, I have to click the X to close the tab. There is a "Show Browser" shortcut, why not have that close the open comic instead of leave it in the background? (ctrl+f4 is a standard for closing a MIDI child window or tab)

10. When CR is set to switch to minimal interface when entering fullscreen, closing the comic without first exiting fullscreen keeps the interface in minimal. Shouldn't it switch back to whatever view you were in before?

I beleive these next two have been mentioned before:

11. If the display is set to "Reader in own Window", have the window hidden unless there is a comic open. If there's no comic open it just gets in the way, and if you close the window it won't open again when you open a new comic.

12. "Real" fullscreen, so that switching to fullscreen hides all screen elements and shows only the comic on a black background.

13. This one is really picky... Some rows appear to have different character spacing in the filename column. When you have a list of comics that all start the same and have an issue number at the end, sometimes the spacing between letters is different so that the issue numbers do not line up. I took a screenshot and measured the pixels, and it seems to be that space characters are wider depending on how long the filename is. In the attached image, you can see that on issues 2 and 8, the opening bracket does not line up with the rest of them. If you look more closely, you can see that the space before the word "Of" is slightly wider than the rest. When I see that my names don't line up, I assume that one of them is named incorrectly, so this becomes a little confusing.

Re:Minor suggestions 11 years 3 months ago #1517

• cYo
8) done
10) done
11) done

13) GDI+ does funny things when drawing text...

Re:Minor suggestions 11 years 3 months ago #1521

• Quaraxkad
  • Senior Boarder
cYo wrote:
8) done
10) done
11) done

13) GDI+ does funny things when drawing text...

I must say, you are awesome! Thanks!

Re:Minor suggestions 11 years 3 months ago #1543

• Quaraxkad
  • Senior Boarder
14. When viewing the library in details view with grouping enabled: Click the group title to select all items within that group.

15. Automatic folder organization. I keep two folders for my comics, Sorted and Unsorted. The library consists of only the Sorted folder, and comics are added to it from the Unsorted folder once I have checked them for accuracy and updated their information on the Folder tab. But I have to manually create new folders to put each new series into because the library completely ignores your folder structure. I would like for it to be able to automatically rename files and folders based on critera entered by the user. For example, I add a new comic to "y:\sorted\" named "comic name [issue].cbz". ComicRack would detect the new file, and move it to a subfolder based on that criteria. In my case I would set it up to move it to "y:\sorted\comic name (volume) [start year - imprint, publisher]\comic name [issue].cbz". The user would be allowed to specify the folder structure similar to the way that the automatic renaming script: Ex. y:\sorted\%name% (%volume%) [%startyear% - %imprint%, %publisher]\%name% [%number%].%ext%. This could be further extended by allowing optional tags, where anything between < and > is only included if all tags between them are not blank. The main page mentions iTunes as an example of the functionality of ComicRack, this is another feature that iTunes does for you (although it does it very poorly).

Re:Minor suggestions 11 years 3 months ago #1545

• cYo
14) done

15) I use smart folder. They automatically fill up with the eComics matching the criteria.

Re:Minor suggestions 11 years 3 months ago #1547

• Quaraxkad
  • Senior Boarder
Assuming you mean Smart Lists, I use them also, but they don't do anything to my actual files themselves. I need my folder structures to be neat and organized because I have a seperate PC connected to my TV running Meedio that allows me to browse and read my comics with a remote from the couch. My setup imports basic information for each comic based on the filenames and paths.

Re:Minor suggestions 11 years 3 months ago #1549

• snitch7
  • Senior Boarder
it seems you've done alot to the next release cYo. Any guesses when its going to be out?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds

Who's Online

We have 146 guests and one member online