Welcome, Guest
Share your ideas
  • Page:

TOPIC: Minor suggestions

Re:Minor suggestions 11 years 3 months ago #1550

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 683
Sunday ~ 2200 CET
Last Edit: 11 years 3 months ago by cYo.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Minor suggestions 11 years 3 months ago #1551

• Quaraxkad
  • Senior Boarder
Please tell me if I'm getting carried away with any of my suggestions...

16. Ability to change the compression ratio for archives converted to other formats. I like to store them using no compression because it's faster. This may be the current setting, but some users may prefer the storage savings to the extra speed. Even the best compression possible of a JPG makes a negligible difference and isn't worth the extra time to compress and decompress.

17. You have already said that you won't add better support for CBR. How about a quick and simple wizard to convert all your CBRs to CBZ or CB7? I know this can be done manually and in the background, but there are a couple of drawbacks to using this method. First, converting a large number of files can take a long time and a wizard-like interface could give you a progress bar with a better idea of how long the conversion will take than the status icons. And second, if there was some kind of notice when ComicRack detects a CBR file that explains to the user the drawbacks of using CBRs, they may opt to convert their comics to CBZ. Obviously you would need to be able to disable this notice so that it doesn't become a nag screen for users that want to keep their CBRs. Maybe you can sway the industry away from using the "evil" rar format!

18. This one would most likely have to be tied into the previous: An option to ONLY save info to the ComicInfo.xml files contained within each archive.
Last Edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Quaraxkad.

Re:Minor suggestions 11 years 3 months ago #1558

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 683
16) as stated by you, I don't see a point in it :)

17) for now make a smart list with CBR in path (or in 0.9.84 with the supported file format), select all and make a convert. Convert is only done if the new file format is different from the old one.

How about an auto convert on import. Something like "Convert all comics to A on import"?

19) Next release always writes tag data INTO the archive (if supported by the file type), but also writes to the NTFS secondary stream for performance reasons.

Re:Minor suggestions 11 years 3 months ago #1559

• Quaraxkad
  • Senior Boarder
cYo wrote:
16) as stated by you, I don't see a point in it :)

I personally wouldn't use any compression for my archives, but that wasn't my point. Currently, ComicRack DOES use at least a low-level compression setting while converting, because the resulting archives show that the packed files are smaller. I would like to be able to set compression level to 0. The default compression level in 7z is 5, use -mx0 for no compression.

cYo wrote:
17) for now make a smart list with CBR in path (or in 0.9.84 with the supported file format), select all and make a convert. Convert is only done if the new file format is different from the old one.

Converting takes a very long time from within ComicRack. I can manually convert hundreds of files with WinRAR in a fraction of the time it takes for ComicRack to convert half as many. This may be related to the use of some compression, and if not, what takes it so long?

cYo wrote:
How about an auto convert on import. Something like "Convert all comics to A on import"?

19) Next release always writes tag data INTO the archive (if supported by the file type), but also writes to the NTFS secondary stream for performance reasons.

The reason I asked for these two features is because I want all my comics to have ComicInfo.xml inside of them, that way the data is there no matter which computer I am accessing the files from. If there was a way to disable using the ComicDB.xml database, then I would be able to tell with absolute certainty that all my archives have the latest info stored within them. Three data sources is a bit redundant, too. Which ones take precedence over the others if one has different data?
Last Edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Quaraxkad.

Re:Minor suggestions 11 years 3 months ago #1571

• AlucardNoir
  • Senior Boarder
  • MangAnime Vampire AlucardNoir
I'd like to second no.16 since depending on the image format, good compresion can get you some free space[more free space, more comics, more to read, more reasons to use CR :cheer:
MangAnime Vampire AlucardNoir
Last Edit: 11 years 3 months ago by AlucardNoir.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds

Who's Online

We have 152 guests and one member online