Welcome, Guest
Share your ideas

TOPIC: requesting: suppress fitting double-pages

requesting: suppress fitting double-pages 9 years 11 months ago #159

• Zulithe
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello. I've been using ComicRack for a long time now. There is still a feature I LOVE from CDisplay that hasn't (that I've been able to find) been ported over: suppressing fit for double-pages.

In comics, the double-page spread is VERY common. In superhero comics especially, you can barely read a single issue without encountering at least one double-page spread.

ComicRack does a good job of fitting pages onto a screen, generally. But it squishes double-pages onto one screen, regardless of what view mode I try (H, W, U, T, etc.)

What I am requesting is a way to use the view method you want (usually W for most comics, for example) but be able to suppress the squishing of pages which are double the width of normal pages, and instead just try to blow it up proportionally for better viewing.

I don't know how best to describe this otherwise... all I can say is, open CDIsplay, browse around a comic with double-page spreads, and try using the 'suppress for double-pages' feature. You'll see what I\"m talking about.

Thanks and I look forward to future versions of this awesome program!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:requesting: suppress fitting double-pages 9 years 11 months ago #161

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
ComicRack can actually do this. Simply switch to part navigation mode and set fit height. Use the Up/down cursor keys to navigate.

I agree, that there is an inconsistency when using scroll mode. As Page Up/Down currently ALWAYS goes to the next page (and not part), there's no simple way to quickly navigate to the next part in scroll mode.

I will think about options (except switching between scroll/part modes on double pages :))

Re:requesting: suppress fitting double-pages 9 years 11 months ago #168

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
Update:

The space key does always part navigation. So set display mode to fit height and page with the space key. This way double spreads are always nicely handled (regardless of the scroll mode).

Another question: Shouldn't the part sequence in manga style go from right to left?

Re:requesting: suppress fitting double-pages 9 years 11 months ago #169

• quidam
  • Platinum Boarder
  • not for nom
  • Thank you received: 23
cYo wrote:
Another question: Shouldn't the part sequence in manga style go from right to left?

yes, it should. :)

Re:requesting: suppress fitting double-pages 9 years 11 months ago #173

• Zulithe
  • Fresh Boarder
I beg to differ with you, but \"Fit to Height\" mode does not remedy this issue. Fit to Height still 'squeezes' the double page-spreads onto one screen. This is not what I desire, because it distorts the text and makes it hard to read, especially on smaller monitors like my laptop.

I have tried every view mode. Height, Width, Fit All, Fit Best, and Auto & Rotate. None provide the desired functionality.

Am I not explaining myself properly here? Or am I doing something Wrong?

Maybe this has something to do with the pages are zoomed. For example, for most pages in western style comics, setting to mode W is more than sufficient. Text is readable, and the aspect-ratio of the pages is close to the original pages, so no distortion takes place.

It is only when you hit a double-page that things go wrong. The 'squishing' onto one screen, regardless of mode H or W (because either way, the aspect ratio will be off) is not good enough and makes things look weird. However if I 'zoom' in to say, %200 percent (since the page is 200% as wide as most comics) i can view it fine.

Maybe a setting that will auto zoom 200% for double pages?
Last Edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Zulithe.

Re:requesting: suppress fitting double-pages 9 years 11 months ago #178

• Lucas
  • Fresh Boarder
Zulithe wrote:
It is only when you hit a double-page that things go wrong. The 'squishing' onto one screen, regardless of mode H or W (because either way, the aspect ratio will be off) is not good enough and makes things look weird. However if I 'zoom' in to say, %200 percent (since the page is 200% as wide as most comics) i can view it fine.

Maybe a setting that will auto zoom 200% for double pages?

I think this can be fixed with a \"Fit to Image Size\" fitting mode, that would always display the pages in their original size.

Re:requesting: suppress fitting double-pages 9 years 11 months ago #190

• Zulithe
  • Fresh Boarder
hi Lucas. Indeed that would be the desired solution, assuming the comic is scanned at the appropriate resolution. Thankfully, most are.

I would like a way to toggle this to only enable it for double pages though. I can imagine comicrack would be smart enough to tell a double page when it sees it, and enable specific features/functions only for such pages.

This would really help me!

Re:requesting: suppress fitting double-pages 9 years 11 months ago #281

• Zulithe
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you for adding the feature to the new version. It really improves my experience. Keep up the awesome work!
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds

Who's Online

We have 219 guests and 7 members online