Monday April 21 , 2014
Text Size

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Share your ideas
  • Page:

TOPIC: Changes to ComicRack Backup/Restore Database Routine

Changes to ComicRack Backup/Restore Database Routine 1 year 11 months ago #22654

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 146
I'm not completely sure fully how the ComicRack Backup/Restore Database routine works though I would like make some feature requests based on my assumptions.

After running the ComicRack Backup Database routine I looked at the created ZIP file and noticed it included the main ComicDb.xml file as well as a bunch of files in a Thumbnails sub-folder. I assume the thumbnail files are of all the book cover images for the browser.

Would it be possible in a future version to have the Backup and Restore functions to include a users updated personal Config.xml file and customized INI file?

Also, if the routines don't already include the sync devices and the users sync preferences, could we have these included in the backup/restore processes as well?

Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Changes to ComicRack Backup/Restore Database Routine 1 year 11 months ago #22655

• {Oo}
  • Platinum Boarder
  • The Chewie is a lie !
  • Thank you received: 40
An addition to that:

If (and only if because I'm far from knowing how it works) the thumbnails are automatically saved, why not set it to only save the ones for the custom covers and covers for fileless books? Since we would have no trouble whatsoever recreating the ones of the books we already have digitally.

Just a thought :)

edit:
After reading Oracle's adventure regarding his DB, why not add some kind of a "light auto-backup" created automatically in the background with a timer of like 7 days. It would only include the Reading Lists, the DB in itself and CR's config files but without the thumbnails and other stuff that might be backed up using the normal function.

And, a little setting in the preferences to change the timer of this autosave or even disable it would be nice.

Kinda like what Word, Excel, etc do so when the app crashes it can restore a temporary saved file with some (if not all) of the changes made to it.
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by {Oo}.

Re: Changes to ComicRack Backup/Restore Database Routine 1 year 11 months ago #22656

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 435
I've been requesting database backup enhancements for ages.. :silly:

1. Option to automatically backup database on exit, and on installing new versions (like 'system restore point')

2. Make database backup button more accessible (right now users have to dig very deep). Best would be a 1-click backup.

3. Also backup 'other' files, like config.xml

4. Option to backup (and sync) database to the cloud, e.g. Dropbox/FTP/Google Drive/Box.net

5. Option to backup *all* reading lists along with the database

yada yada yada.. :laugh:
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: Changes to ComicRack Backup/Restore Database Routine 1 year 11 months ago #22657

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
600WPMPO wrote:
1. Option to automatically backup database on exit, and on installing new versions (like 'system restore point')

2. Make database backup button more accessible (right now users have to dig very deep). Best would be a 1-click backup.
These are nice extras I wouldn't mind seeing included as well.
600WPMPO wrote:
3. Also backup 'other' files, like config.xml
Yeah, I think this one is a MUST HAVE.
600WPMPO wrote:
5. Option to backup *all* reading lists along with the database
I believe that this one is already handled by the the backup routine because all reading lists are stored in the ComicDb.xml file which the routine backs up into a ZIP file. In my older backup from November 2011, it included all of my reading lists and their structures. Also, in the corrupted backup XML file, it showed that the application was in the middle of writing the reading lists to the XML file when it crashed.
{Oo} wrote:
If (and only if because I'm far from knowing how it works) the thumbnails are automatically saved, why not set it to only save the ones for the custom covers and covers for fileless books? Since we would have no trouble whatsoever recreating the ones of the books we already have digitally.
This is also a nice option to have. I will also add that I think the thumbnails are included so that their references to the books in your library are there and don't need to be re-built/re-associated. For a small library this wouldn't probably seem like much of a time consuming process, but I know for my large library, it may make a difference...of course this is only my assumption on why the thumbnails are included in the ZIP backup. :unsure:
{Oo} wrote:
And, a little setting in the preferences to change the timer of this autosave or even disable it would be nice.

Kinda like what Word, Excel, etc do so when the app crashes it can restore a temporary saved file with some (if not all) of the changes made to it.
Like 600WPMPO similarly suggested, this also would be a very cool addition to have in my opinion. Automatic time interval backups and temp background backups for crashed app purposes are awesome. I usually backup mine manually quite often, however, I got so caught up recently with life and adding reading lists to the forums that before I realized it, I hadn't backed up my database in over 4 months ( :ohmy: That's scary).
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by oraclexview.

Re: Changes to ComicRack Backup/Restore Database Routine 1 year 11 months ago #22659

• MrDowntown
  • Junior Boarder
I may just not know the way to do it, but a Backup/export all lists and Import from backup would be helpful.

My desktop started its slow creep towards death and I moved all my comics to my laptop (on external too) and had to export each list separately and then import each separately and create the folders/subfolders and order all over again.

Would be helpful to have a export/import all lists option. Or have someone spell out how to use the database backup (if possible) to do that??

Re: Changes to ComicRack Backup/Restore Database Routine 1 year 11 months ago #22660

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
MrDowntown wrote:
I may just not know the way to do it, but a Backup/export all lists and Import from backup would be helpful.

My desktop started its slow creep towards death and I moved all my comics to my laptop (on external too) and had to export each list separately and then import each separately and create the folders/subfolders and order all over again.

Would be helpful to have a export/import all lists option. Or have someone spell out how to use the database backup (if possible) to do that??
Based on how the ComicRack XML database file is setup, all of your lists and their structure is included within that database file. So, all you should have to do is backup your ComicRack database file on the original computer. Then copy or move that backed up ZIP file to the new computer. Open ComicRack and run the Restore Database routine and all of your files and lists should be just as they were on the previous computer.

Unfortunately there currently isn't a function to just export and import all lists. Thus, if you don't want all the data out of the ComicRack database file (ComicDb.xml) you can open up the XML file in NotePad, copy out the node section ComicLists (from <ComicLists> to </ComicLists>) into a separate text file, save it, then move that file over to the new computer where it's ComicDb.xml file is located. Open up the text file you created earlier and copy all the text out of the file and paste it into the new computer's opened ComicDb.xml file and overwrite the same ComicLists node section and save it.

Hopefully that helps. Good luck. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrDowntown

Re: Changes to ComicRack Backup/Restore Database Routine 1 year 11 months ago #22661

• MrDowntown
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks oraclexview, wish you were around when i had done it. Oh well, That may come in handy as a friend wants to copy my collection :D

Re: Changes to ComicRack Backup/Restore Database Routine 1 year 11 months ago #22667

• {Oo}
  • Platinum Boarder
  • The Chewie is a lie !
  • Thank you received: 40
oraclexview wrote:
MrDowntown wrote:

[...]
Unfortunately there currently isn't a function to just export and import all lists. Thus, if you don't want all the data out of the ComicRack database file (ComicDb.xml) you can open up the XML file in NotePad, copy out the node section ComicLists (from <ComicLists> to </ComicLists>) into a separate text file, save it, then move that file over to the new computer where it's ComicDb.xml file is located. Open up the text file you created earlier and copy all the text out of the file and paste it into the new computer's opened ComicDb.xml file and overwrite the same ComicLists node section and save it.

Hopefully that helps. Good luck. :)

And you would be wrong my dear oracle.There is an export/import list option, but it works only one list after the other. You can't batch export (and since batch export isn't possible, I assume batch import isn't as well but I'm not a 100% sure on that one). To export, all you have to do is:
- Right click on the Reading List you want to export
- Select "Export Reading List..." in the contextual menu that appears (or just use CTRL+SHIFT+C)
- Select the location to save the file

You'll have a file named xxx.cbl (where xxx is, by default the title of the list but you can rename it to anything you want.

And, to import it again:
- Right click anywhere in the Library tab
- Select "Import Reading List..." in the contextual menu that appears (or just use CTRL+SHIFT+V)
- Select the saved xxx.cbl file

And that's pretty much it :)

Re: Changes to ComicRack Backup/Restore Database Routine 1 year 11 months ago #22671

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
{Oo} wrote:
And you would be wrong my dear oracle.There is an export/import list option, but it works only one list after the other. You can't batch export (and since batch export isn't possible, I assume batch import isn't as well but I'm not a 100% sure on that one). To export, all you have to do is:
- Right click on the Reading List you want to export
- Select "Export Reading List..." in the contextual menu that appears (or just use CTRL+SHIFT+C)
- Select the location to save the file

You'll have a file named xxx.cbl (where xxx is, by default the title of the list but you can rename it to anything you want.

And, to import it again:
- Right click anywhere in the Library tab
- Select "Import Reading List..." in the contextual menu that appears (or just use CTRL+SHIFT+V)
- Select the saved xxx.cbl file

And that's pretty much it :)
Not wrong my friend. Based on what MrDowntown originally posted a single import one at a time isn't what they wanted. There currently isn't a way to export/import ALL lists and even importing one list at a time doesn't give you smart lists and it doesn't give you the list folder tree structure that you had. The only way to export/import all list, including smart list and also keep their folder/tree structure is to follow the procedure that I laid out earlier. A script outside of the ComicRack app environment could be written to do this. Having the ability to export and import the complete ComicLists node section would be awesome. Maybe I'll play around with this and see what I can come up with.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrDowntown
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds

Who's Online

We have 209 guests and 1 member online
  • kenjio

PIM

You are not logged in.