Welcome, Guest
Share your ideas
  • Page:

TOPIC: Comic Info Stored In Files...Why not <Series Complete> and <Tags>?

Comic Info Stored In Files...Why not <Series Complete> and <Tags>? 4 years 10 months ago #27664

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
I fail to understand why Series Complete and Tags don't get stored in the comic info. If a series is complete then there are no more issues coming out for that series right? Or at least that's how i use it. it tells me whether i need to look for more issues. Anyhow, i do a fresh install of my windows OS monthly to kill what seems to be an inevitable and unmanageable bloat (my complete system installed with my personal software selections installed weighs in at 30G... on an 80G partition within a month i'm getting disc cleanup messages even after disc cleanup it still seems to be bloated near bursting-and i use that partition for nothing but windows for that exact reason: easy re-installation) And its really a pain to re-tag and re-designate these series as complete. Could you possibly make these fields optional to store in files? So some of us who'd like that info permanent can keep it that way?
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by T3KN0Gh057. Reason: spelling and grammar
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sakkath

Re: Comic Info Stored In Files...Why not <Series Complete> and <Tags>? 4 years 10 months ago #27665

• Sakkath
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I copy that.

It's a Little bit harsh writen but he has a Point.

I'm at the Moment rescraping my 50'0000 cbz files after a rearranging my file System.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the fine line between sanity and madness gotten finer?
George Price

Re: Comic Info Stored In Files...Why not <Series Complete> and <Tags>? 4 years 10 months ago #27668

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
Didn't mean to sound harsh. just wondering why they got excluded from saved info.
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by T3KN0Gh057.

Re: Comic Info Stored In Files...Why not <Series Complete> and <Tags>? 4 years 10 months ago #27671

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
Because they make no sense outside of the context of your special library.

Re: Comic Info Stored In Files...Why not <Series Complete> and <Tags>? 4 years 10 months ago #27673

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
Well my specific library isn't shared with anyone else.
Its not like i'm going to give away copyrighted material (are we supporting piracy, i think not). Now as far as physical media maybe that would get loaned out, but not my digital library.

I'm not meaning to sound mean, at all.

But you may not think it's an important feature. But some may want it, it could be made optional (check marks under "Save info to files" for Series Complete [Only if complete] and Tags).

Sorry if i come off as a bit aggravated, its not at you, the developer, its at myself for putting in the time to add all this info that ended up getting lost, when i already knew these fields where not saved to the files.

I just know that I myself could write the code (C# right?) to make these and other feilds that others may want optional, and implement them into the GUI in about 15 minutes if it were open source, unfortunately its not. And I don't fault you at all for that, it's a great piece of software, with features i've been trying [unsuccessfully] to implement into a multi-media organizer program i've been writing for a couple of years now. And of course it's yours to do with as you will, the lack of these feature's ain't going to stop me from using it, or buying it for my nexus 7 when i get it sometime this week.

Re: Comic Info Stored In Files...Why not everything? 4 years 10 months ago #27681

• T3KN0Gh057
  • Platinum Boarder
Edtion wrote:
Well I don't actually know any other programs that use "ComicInfo.xml" file, so I don't really see why not use ALL visible editable fields. Tags/BookNotes/Price/Review/Everything else editable in the info box.

"Because they make no sense outside of the context of your special library. "
Why exactly does that apply? Do you mean special library as in "T3KN0Gh057" and his obsessive need to keep rebooting his computer, or as in everyone likes to keep certain information in their own libraries?

YES I'll definitely admit to being obsessive... but i'm a collector, i'm almost obsessive about everything i care about!
If the latter, do you mean the information is not stored for the few people that share their libraries publicly?

I don't understand why this information is not stored, as I thought the information was suppose to be there to help you recover information lost from the library.

Exactly if not for recoverability why store that info to the file at all, ComicRack itself keeps ALL info in its database, so why should we even need to store to files if not to be able to recover data?

Not that i'm saying storing info to files is bad. But hey isn't it just as easy for a user to select all comics (if they get them from someone else) and delete whatever info they want to customize?

Re: Comic Info Stored In Files...Why not everything? 4 years 10 months ago #27698

• cYo
The logic behind storing and not storing in the file is the same as for tags in MP3 files. Some make sense when you give the file to another person and some don't.
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by cYo.

Re: Comic Info Stored In Files...Why not everything? 4 years 10 months ago #27699

• Sakkath
  • Senior Boarder
cYo wrote:
The logic behind storing and not storing in the file is the same as for tags in MP3 files. Some make sense when you give the file to another person and some don't.

That’s correct and I agreed.... but

at least the TAG field has his us. (especially in MP3 ;-))

A little help for the better understanding: Yesterday I had finished my scraping (and backup) and this morning the DB is corrupt. Therefor I have to do it again.

And yes I haven't done a backup midway’s.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the fine line between sanity and madness gotten finer?
George Price

Re: Comic Info Stored In Files...Why not everything? 4 years 10 months ago #27701

• cYo
The question is why does the DB always corrupt on your machine...

Re: Comic Info Stored In Files...Why not everything? 4 years 10 months ago #27704

• Sakkath
  • Senior Boarder
cYo wrote:
The question is why does the DB always corrupt on your machine...

This was the first time for me. I know i have a big DB it's about 105 MB.

And strangly a few Comics had remembert the TAG tag.

I have no other "issue" with CR, i'm only waiting for Windows8 Tablet Version ;-)

@T3KN0Gh057 & Edtion: both of you are still a Little harsh. ;-)
George Price
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds

Who's Online

We have 231 guests and 9 members online