Welcome, Guest
Share your ideas

TOPIC: Cataloging and Database Capabilities...

Cataloging and Database Capabilities... 4 years 9 months ago #28052

• katleeh
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm a long time off and on user of ComicRack and although I love the program, there is one feature that I feel has been needed for a long time: Cataloging. There is already a database used, so it seems, for the program so all that's really left is to allow for the files to be cataloged if they are on an external disk of some sort whether that's a Zip disk, CD, DVD, etc. That way, I won't have to keep switching programs and such to find the comic, read the comic, and store the information.

The problem I have right now is that most of my ecomics are on stored on blank DVDs. HD space may be cheap, but let's remember that some motherboards only support 4 SATA devices and those fill up rather quickly when you start adding laser media drives.

The other problem is that I have multiple copies of some stuff depending on how I have the storyline laid out on the disks. For instance, I have all of the Wolverine (v1 series, or if you include the miniseries, v2) series (187 issues if I remember correctly) and copying those from the 3 disks they are on would be a pain in the rear, especially if I only want to read a specific storyline. Right now, because ComicRack does not store the cover image and only stores the text info, it makes it a bit more difficult to locate stuff since sometimes things are more easily located by the covers. IE: The Heroic Age, Age of Apocalypse, etc...

So developers of ComicRack, please allow for the storage of the covers (as well as perhaps storing the volume label of where the file is) to be implemented in the database. It may not seem like much, but I think would honestly make it a lot easier to find the comics and such I'm looking for.

An idea of how that could be implemented:

I'll assume your database is relational and therefore you could always add 3 fields: 1 for the cover image (stored in a seperate datafile perhaps to make it easier for tracking), 1 for the location of the file (the volume label), and 1 that's a boolean flag for "online/offline" or whatever term you want to use to describe the availability of the ecomic.

Another thing, what's with the red X's on some of the files that I do have available? I've read a lot of posts about that and it seems to be... problematic at best. If there's a problem with the way ComicRack can interpret the contents (there's nothing wrong with the contents I can assure you as I have already checked for data integretity as well as reading viewing the files inside manually) why not have a feature that allows ComicRack to pull the file from the disk its on, reorganize the contents to its liking, then save it in a data directory somewhere?

- KatLeeH
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Cataloging and Database Capabilities... 4 years 8 months ago #29044

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
Sorry to tell you, but I will for now not implement any offline feature.

Re: Cataloging and Database Capabilities... 3 years 11 months ago #37168

• Wobenzym
  • Fresh Boarder
that truely is sad,
I just can second the suggestion for "offline browsing" capabilities.
I do very much enjoy just to browse trough the covers of my collection and it would be perfect to have an catalogue of all my books on the ipad or at least on my PC.
Maybe you can reconsider that feature. Or is there an technical reason which would make thist to complicated to implement?
best regards
Wobby

Re: Cataloging and Database Capabilities... 3 years 11 months ago #37175

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
I think there's a script that can convert file entries into fileless entries.
These have a a cover and can be browsed offline.

Re: Cataloging and Database Capabilities... 3 years 11 months ago #37321

• AlexPham
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi cYo,
Could you give me the name of this Script please ?
Regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: fieldhouse
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds

Who's Online

We have 182 guests and 9 members online