Welcome, Guest
Share your ideas

TOPIC: More robust database?

More robust database? 10 years 1 week ago #343

• blacklist
  • Fresh Boarder
First off, let me say what a huge fan I am of comicrack - I've been using it for probably a month now on a rather large (7000+) collection and have been very impressed with the features and versatility of the program.

I appreciate how much effort has gone into using XML to make the data stored by ComicRack is not application specific, however, I can't help but thinking a move to a more robust central database would be not only faster, but more versatile for large collections.

I would suggest mySQl, since its free, fairly light on system resources, and has a large development community. Defiantly not as a replacement for the current system, but possibly as an alternative for people with large collections?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:More robust database? 10 years 6 days ago #429

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
local database will stay in xml for the foreseeable future as it is the easiest to upgrade and the current internal handling of ComicRack requires it.

The coming online database will of course be using mySql.

Re:More robust database? 10 years 3 days ago #486

• dfuse
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Do you think it would be that much faster using MySql? It would only be the startup time anyways, because the entire library is loaded into memory. MySQL would definitely be overkill, if you would go for a database I would recommend an embedded db like SQLite, which doesn't require a server running like MySQL. For now I also prefer the XML since any application can easily parse it using your xml parser of choice and do whatever it wants with it.

What's that about a coming online database??

--edit: why is the forum always adding underscores to a lot of words?
Last Edit: 10 years 3 days ago by dfuse.

Re:More robust database? 10 years 3 days ago #491

• blacklist
  • Fresh Boarder
Well, since I'm a bit more of a web programmer to begin with (PHP, SQL, and the like) I suppose I'm partial to a distributed database because I can do more with it. As far as faster goes - when we're talking about 8000+ records, I can only assume that we'd be talking a good bit faster than otherwise.

At the end of the day, I suppose it doesn't really matter all that much, just kinda my own personal wish list.
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds

Who's Online

We have 216 guests and 2 members online