Welcome, Guest
Share your ideas

TOPIC: Manga field, text and image ordering.

Manga field, text and image ordering. 6 years 1 month ago #36515

• Kins3
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Deprecate the Manga field value that defines "right-to-left" text/page ordering. Replace it with a "Reading Direction" field: Left-to-Right, Right-to-Left. Default is Left-to-Right.

The only thing Reading Direction affects is the order to display/paint pages when displaying two pages on screen at the same time. Left-to-Right puts page 1 on the left, page 2 on the right. Right-to-Left puts page 1 on the right, page 2 on the left.

As an example, "Ketchup Ninja" is designed to be read right-to-left, as it was originally written in Japanese. However it is not a manga. It's a series of illustrations that are often drawn in a pseudo-animation style, where additional parts of the frame are revealed in each subsequent image.

Add a "Paging Direction" field: Horizontal, Vertical. Default is Horizontal.

Paging Direction of Vertical should disable 2-page display mode. Example reason: Kubera, the webcomic. Each image ("page") in the archive can be up to around 20,000 pixels high. It is designed specifically for continuous vertical reading. Switching from a normal comic in 2-page mode to one of these is always annoying because it won't automatically swap to a single page mode, and having 2 such "pages" side-by-side is nonsensical.

Add a "Paging Style" field: Discrete, Continuous (or maybe: Flip, Scroll, if you want less techy terms). Default is Discrete/Flip. Continuous/Scroll mode would be for a book that was intended to be read in one continuous stream (for examples, see webtoons/manhwa on Naver, such as Kubera). Rather than scrolling to the end of the current page/image, and then suddenly changing to the next image, allow the following image to scroll into view automatically, to remove the "page changing" effect.

Paging Style is a secondary request, and can be considered independent of the first two requests.

Re-purpose the Manga field, or simply replace it altogether. 'Manga' as currently used in ComicRack is an artificial designation that's perhaps better described as 'Art Style'. "Vampire Cheerleaders" is an American comic drawn in a manga-like style, and is read right-to-left. "Ketchup Ninja" isn't a manga, it's a series of images posted on Pixiv (sort of a Japanese version of DeviantArt); it's read right-to-left, but uses an art style much closer to American comics. "Girls of the Wild's" is technically a Manhwa (Korean), not a Manga (Japanese), read left-to-right, and pages vertically.

The Manga field as it currently stands is a combination of descriptive and behavioral values -- it describes the style of art used, and changes the behavior of ComicRack when viewing pages. The behavioral aspects of the field (Reading Direction, and the requested Paging Direction and Paging Style) should be placed elsewhere (perhaps on the Pages tab), as they do not always correlate with the book being a 'manga'. The descriptive aspects of the value are ambiguous, and don't seem to be well-served.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Manga field, text and image ordering. 6 years 4 days ago #37064

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 683
I know. Manga started out as a simple switch because someone wanted it. As I'm not into eastern stuff I just put it in that way. I later repurposed the flag for rtl reading, which was a mistake.
I'll look into it, on how to best change that (if I come around).

I'm not planning to do non paging view modes (continuous scrolling) in the near time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kins3

Re: Manga field, text and image ordering. 6 years 4 days ago #37071

• Kins3
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Thank you for considering the issue and replying.
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds

Who's Online

We have 102 guests and no members online