Welcome, Guest
Share your ideas

TOPIC: save metadata on external xml

save metadata on external xml 4 years 2 months ago #36631

• luke_70it
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello,
I keep my comics collection in the original format (mostly cbr) for sharing purpouse, and I disabled the "allow writing of book info into files" option, so even cbz files are not modified.

It will be great to add an option to save metadata on a separate xml, with the same name of the comic file.

Example:
Star Wars Rebellion 3 (by Mibrun1) Lukas Books- Panini Comics (C2C).cbr
Star Wars Rebellion 3 (by Mibrun1) Lukas Books- Panini Comics (C2C).xml

Thank you very much
Luca
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: save metadata on external xml 4 years 2 months ago #36632

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 109
The use of sidecar files has been suggested before, and i although i don't quite remember cYo's reply, it's probably on the to-do list.

Right now, when you disable writing to the file, the information is stored on the alternate data stream (under ntfs filesystems) and on the xml library (which, not being what you wanted, is still easy to parse with external programs and get the information for specific books).

fK
The following user(s) said Thank You: luke_70it

Re: save metadata on external xml 4 years 2 months ago #36633

• luke_70it
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Thank you for your reply!

What I want to achieve is to share CR metadata with friends, for use in their CR installations, without altering original files.

Neither NTFS ads or xml are suitable for this purpose, and I'm using mySql now, whic complicates things further...

Ciao
Luca

Re: save metadata on external xml 4 years 6 days ago #37383

• fieldhouse
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
forkicks wrote:
...Right now, when you disable writing to the file, the information is stored on the alternate data stream (under ntfs filesystems) and on the xml library...
Is this a recent change? There are two settings: "Allow writing of book info into files" and "Book files are updated automatically" that appear to operate independantly (you can select one, the other, or both). If there's a way to get CR to not insert data into .cbz's and use ADS instead I'd love to do it.

Can you explicitly specify that CR saves data to an alternate data stream? The only way I've been able to get it to work (a few months/versions back) was to change all .cbz files to .cbr so CR didn't try to insert the xml info.

This is really important to me (and my sanity) because I want to be able to move files around and restructure my storage. I'm also trying to verify files by their CRC / hash values and time/date stamps - all of which will change if CR gets any new data on a particular book. I'm using MySQL and ideally I would like this to work well across multiple clients running on different machines around the house. As it is, I can't easily restructure my folders without breaking things or renaming all of the .cbz's to .cbr.

Re: save metadata on external xml 3 years 2 months ago #40518

• Yhoogi
  • Fresh Boarder
Would be also interested in the status as it makes also quite a hassle while using backup tools
as the xmls in the zip files are regularly updated.
On the other hand I would like to have the individual xmls as they become handy in case of a rebuild

Cheers,

save metadata on external xml 3 years 2 months ago #40525

• romsnesrom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
That could be helpful for those who keep files in formats other than zip.

save metadata on external xml 2 years 7 months ago #41964

• drdownload
  • Fresh Boarder
Has anybody an update on this topic, it would be a nice backup for damaged databases or if you move your library outside of CR.

I also have a lot of CBR Comics and PDF Magazines and I'm not conviced that converting everything to cbz is always the way to go (quality, hassle, flexibility)

I found something in the release notes comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/32-news-and-...crack-09143-released, but no further explanation.
Time to create page: 0.391 seconds

Who's Online

We have 259 guests and 2 members online