Welcome, Guest
Share your ideas
  • Page:

TOPIC: page number order

page number order 4 months 2 weeks ago #47670

• vomov
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
All CBx files are normal archives, with simple files in it. A file (like xml, or something similar) can be used to provide metadata, which is probably what you mean, but this is grossly underutilized; I've rarely seen a file with metadata. Right now, I've got access to about 2TB worth of legally obtained (license) comics that are out of circulation, and none have metadata, while all are recognized properly by Comicrack. And all employ logical numbering, which is where the problem OP explains comes in.

You state this is not a valid issue, which in itself cannot be a correct statement; any issue is valid, but the cause might be less-than-flattering.To state an issue is invalid can be considered to be rude, so please don't do that.

Based on the number of threads on the forums, this issue is something a lot of people experience. Also, the option for numerical sorting has existed before; I have located an earlier version of comicrack (from 2012, when I started to use it) that still has it, but the latest version does not, and none of the other options give the desired behaviour.

My questions still stand:
1) Why is automatic recognition not implemented?
2) Why has the option 'numerical sorting' been removed?
3) Is there currently a way to tell Comicrack to employ logical sorting, either per-archive or in general?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

page number order 4 months 2 weeks ago #47671

• romsnesrom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Some comic readers are able to automatically recognize the pattern with or without leading zeroes. It is not a big deal for me since I use CR just to manage the collection and other programs to read. I do not have CR here right now to search for the missing option.

@Vomov Most of your questions could be answered by CYO, but he does not post much in here anymore.
@JK CBx ARE normal archives. CR may add a XML, but that is NOT STANDARD.
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by romsnesrom.

page number order 4 months 2 weeks ago #47672

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 248
The CBx standard dictates that the file names are in a particular format. That does not include non standard page numbering without leading zeros when appropriate. So this is why CBx files are not standard archives.

If you have such files then the person that compiled them is to blame. The only real option is to either reorder the pages within Comicrack and then export them with the page numbering option, or use a script that inserts the leading zeroes.

I don't remember Comic Rack ever having an option to ignore numbering issues like this. Perhaps in an app version but not in the windows version. I can appreciate that it is a feature request, but this isn't a problem with the program, it isn't a bug, it is a problem with the files.

If there are only a few files it is quite easy to reorder them, if you have lots or a very large file it is probably worth trying the script above and seeing if it works, I haven't ever tested it but I have never had this issue to any serious extent.
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by jkthemac.

page number order 4 months 2 weeks ago #47673

• vomov
  • Fresh Boarder
@jkthemac

There is no CBx standard.
According to Wikipedia:
"Comic book archive files mainly consist of a series of image files, *snip* stored as a single archive file. Occasionally GIF, BMP, and TIFF files are seen." No mention of metadata here.
"Comic book archive files are not a distinct file format; only the file name extension differs from a standard file of the given archive type." So, just like normal archives.
"Efforts, such as the Comic Metadata (CoMet) Format, have been made to define an open standard." Unsuccessful efforts, mind you; they've given up in 2015.
According to MobileRead (which might be a better authority on these matters):
"Normally a CBR or CBZ file does not have metadata. There are no text files and the images are viewed in alphabetical order. While there is no standard for metadata there are several methods to store comic book metadata in comic book archives." (emphasis mine)

Also, note that neither pages mention leading zeros, as this is not universally common. I just checked a random selection of comics, and notice that most do not have leading zeros. Note that this includes several comics that I got legally, from the publishers directly. The reason for this is simple; it is not needed. All readers I've tried so far, except Comicrack, sort the pages properly.

Lastly, I'm looking at both an old version of Comicrack which has the option of numerical sorting, and the newest version which does not. The option was there (points to the left window), and now it is gone (points at the right window). This is not a feature request, it is a question on why this feature was removed.

I'd like to advise you to:
1) Take other people's issues seriously; people tend not to post issues without reason.
2) Be polite; there's no need to put 'blame' anywhere, nor is any issue 'invalid'.
3) Try and understand what you're talking about before you post. Referencing non-existent standards and incorrectly saying 'it was never there' is unproductive.

@romsnesrom
It's starting to look like CYO abandoned Comicrack, which would be sad. What do you use for reading?
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by vomov. Reason: Sentence structure

page number order 4 months 2 weeks ago #47676

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 248
The CBx standard that is used by ComicRack and thereby defined by ComicRack is the only standard that ComicRack cares about.

ComicRack is not currently in development, it hasn't been for a long time. If you want a solution to this issue you are probably going to have to find a work around. Either use a script or reorder the files. That is the only practical solution.

However it isn't a problem for a big section of the user base. ComicRack has been the dominant reader on PCs for a very long time and a massive percentage of archived material conforms to the naming convention that ComicRack has pretty much defined by default. That user base is beginning to fragment now, that's a wider issue related to how tablets have begun to dominate the comic space.

Most of us never have this issue. Not having encountered one of these files I cant help but see this as a marginal problem, but it has a practical solution.
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by jkthemac.

page number order 4 months 2 weeks ago #47677

• vomov
  • Fresh Boarder
As of right now, the most common practice is to put pictures in an archive and change the extension. There's not even an agreement on which archive format to use. One person saying "this is what we need to do" does not make a standard, and a clever idea by a single developer is as far away from a standard as you can get.

I can find multiple threads for just this problem using a single Google search, and several threads on other forums (of other viewers) stating this is a reason to switch. Saying it's not a problem because you've not seen it doesn't make much sense, and my reply would be the previously stated 'take other people's issues seriously'.

You did state something that actually contributes; "Comicrack is not currently in development". It's been suggested several times, but you seem to suggest you have more knowledge on this by stating it outright. As such, I will trust your statement on this, and conclude Comicrack will not see further development or even fixes.

So, I have three options:
1) Use the older version of Comicrack, which works just fine. The changes between versions are minimal anyways; I suspect development stalled some time ago, with only minor changes happening from time to time. On an unrelated note; I'm very curious as to what happened wit CYO.
2) Make scripts that convert comic files on a large scale. Which I did; didn't take me very long, but these scripts have to be run every time I get new comics. Also, some subscriptions have rules that suggest this is frowned upon. As such, this is not a practical solution (also, it's very rare for there to be only one practical solution).
3) Simply go to another reader. Comicrack doesn't really have a big user base anymore, and hasn't been the dominant reader for a couple of years now, and since development stopped, the user base will only get smaller. Opening Comicrack up for the user base would make it the dominant reader nearly instantly, but that's another discussion. This is actually the most practical solution for my situation, and romsnesrom already suggested this.

When I posted on a forum for another reader about this issue, the first response was "Why are you still using Comicrack? Don't you know it's dead?" coupled with helpful advice on how to switch, and an example script for renaming, for if I wanted to stay with Comicrack. You've just made four large uninformed and useless comments, while you could have been helpful. If you want to stay with Comicrack, have at it. I'm going to a reader that knows how to count, where the people in the community are helpful and informed, like romsnesrom.

page number order 4 months 2 weeks ago #47680

• rmagere
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
vomov wrote:
However, they do state that to read it properly, we have to choose 'order by name (numeric)'.
However, this option does not exist anymore. I remember that this option existed, and I have used it before, but it seems to have been removed.
I do not see the reason behind refusing to implement automatic recognition of the naming scheme, and instead opting for a manual switch, but removing the manual switch just seems stupid. So, I've got three questions, that maybe someone here can answer:
1) Why is automatic recognition of naming schemes not implemented? It's something I have seen and made before, for stuff that is a LOT more complex than double pages.
2) Why has the option for logical sorting (i.e.: without leading zeros) been removed?
3) Is there currently a way to tell Comicrack to employ logical sorting, either per-archive or in general?

Interesting - since I have been using Comicrack (bought in 2011 and been using it since a little earlier) I have never seen such options and I have always had the issue with pages been read by "old windows/dos" mode (i.e. 1,10,11,,,19,2,20,21...29,...) which I resolve by extracting all the files, renaming manually, repacking and then exporting through comicrack to have a fully comicrack compliant file.
All of the above is a bit annoying - though thankfully only a bit annoying as I do not have that many files without leading zeros to begin with.

Never actually realised there was an option to have logical sorting.

On windows I actually do not use ComicRack for reading comics - I use CDisplayEX. I only use Comicrack for categorizing and managing the library (and to read on my android device).

----
DISCLAIMER: this post does not aim to address your questions nor to help you with your problem - just noting that a feature that I would have found useful was included and removed without me realising it
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds

Who's Online

We have 144 guests and 6 members online