Welcome, Guest
Share your ideas

TOPIC: Different Sidebar-View

Different Sidebar-View 4 years 3 weeks ago #37443

• moses.lp
  • Fresh Boarder
Back when I was comparing different comic cataloging solutions I came across ComicRack, which I loved because I could add files and use comicvinescraper to get all the information.

Another one was collectorz's comic cataloging software. I liked the sidebar-view a lot, because it gave me all publishers and the underlying Series/Characters/Series Group in a kind of windows-explorer-way. (See attachment)

Would it be possible to implement such a alternative sidebar-view into ComicRack. I don't feel comfortable with the way to navigate my sorted comics.
Would be nice to get some opinions on that if others are interested in this also ;-)
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Different Sidebar-View 4 years 3 weeks ago #37444

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
For just your sorted comics you can make a folder list for them, for example I have many of my smartlists twice, once under the alphabetical folder and once under the publisher folder:

Of course there's always the folders tab which looks a lot like your picture but that actually is windows explorer:

Alternatively there's the sorting filters that you can use to break thing down by Publishers/Series/Characters/etc. It's a little different then the sidebar but you get used to it and it's sort of like creating a smartlist on the fly. For an example this picture shows all Dark Horse comics that I have that contain Darth Vader in the character credits:

Last Edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by Madmatx.

Re: Different Sidebar-View 4 years 3 weeks ago #37445

• moses.lp
  • Fresh Boarder
I have a lot of comics and wanted to avoid making a lot of folders and smartlists.
My comics are sorted by release date. The folder view doesn't work because of that.
And the last possibility you mentioned is the one I meant when I said that I don't think it's very "pretty" :-P

Re: Different Sidebar-View 4 years 3 weeks ago #37449

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
A couple of people were talking about possibly looking into making a script that can auto-create folders based on certain criteria a long time ago. I'm not sure if anything like that happened though. You might want to check the scripts forum in case that ever happened and I missed it.

Re: Different Sidebar-View 4 years 3 weeks ago #37450

• Karvajalka
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
One option would be creating smart lists for each publisher. Then use combination of grouping and stacking to get the view the way you want it. I'v found using volume for grouping and serie for stacking pretty convenient. It will not give the list into sidebar, but end result should be quite useful anyway.

Re: Different Sidebar-View 4 years 3 weeks ago #37453

• moses.lp
  • Fresh Boarder
Madmatx wrote:
A couple of people were talking about possibly looking into making a script that can auto-create folders based on certain criteria a long time ago. I'm not sure if anything like that happened though. You might want to check the scripts forum in case that ever happened and I missed it.
Well, there is a script, but it's for the folder/file-structure storage-wise. So it will rearrange the actual files. But I want to keep it as it is. It just would be nice to be able to switch between smartlist-view and "sorted-by-whatever"-view similar to the one that is already present. But with a folder structure.
Karvajalka wrote:
One option would be creating smart lists for each publisher. Then use combination of grouping and stacking to get the view the way you want it. I'v found using volume for grouping and serie for stacking pretty convenient. It will not give the list into sidebar, but end result should be quite useful anyway.
Of course, that's a possiblity, but also a lot of work.
Having it implemented in CR would be a lot easier.
And I find the "filtering" not very convenient/"pretty" ;-)
Last Edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by moses.lp.

Re: Different Sidebar-View 4 years 3 weeks ago #37489

• Karvajalka
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
moses.lp wrote:
Of course, that's a possiblity, but also a lot of work.
Having it implemented in CR would be a lot easier.
And I find the "filtering" not very convenient/"pretty" ;-)

Actually amount of work is quite reasonable.
  • Arrange your library so that you stack your comics by publisher (there shouldn't be too many of those)
  • Then you can just drag the stacks to your sidebar to create the smart lists per publisher (see the features in new CRW version).
  • Open the 1st smart list and arrange the view by setting volume to grouping and serie to stacking (just an exmaple)
  • Save the layout (those buttons in the toolbar next to order selection)
  • Open the next list and apply your saved layout

Problem with this approach is that you cant' sync stacks to your mobile device. But again, you can drag the stack to sidebar to make list out of it and then you can synch.
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds

Who's Online

We have 231 guests and one member online