Welcome, Guest
Share your ideas

TOPIC: Rescan .cbl files to replace fileless/missing entries with book entries

Rescan .cbl files to replace fileless/missing entries with book entries 3 years 7 months ago #38925

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 65
When a .cbl flat reading list is added to ComicRack and an entry is missing you are given the option to create a fileless entry. It would be nice to force this recheck, possibly at every startup, or on every library scan. This could then replace the fileless entries with the proper entry automatically.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Rescan .cbl files to replace fileless/missing entries with book entries 3 years 6 months ago #39071

• Gemris
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I'm amazed you aren't getting a response on this suggestion because I still think this is such an important request. I'm pretty new too, but it really seems like there should be a way to do this that we are missing because it's such a huge thing.

Have you even figured out a way to match/merge fileless entries to correct files manually?
The "Link to File" does not allow me to attach the fileless entry to anything unless it's something not already in the library (and I load files into the library by folder, not one issue at a time by attaching them to fileless entries).

Someone suggested deleting and reloading reading lists once the files exist so that they will be recognized when the new list loads -- an excellent suggestion, but that didn't work either.
Sometimes I actually had the books all along, but for some reason they aren't matching up. I've even tried Scraping the fileless entry so that the details match the file exactly, but deleting and reloading the list still didn't find the books. I know the list can be edited in notepad, etc, but often I have something like 40 fileless entries in a list, and manually changing the details in the list to figure out why each one isn't being found is too difficult and very time-consuming. And for the ones I didn't have, I do want the fileless entry to show me where they belong once I get them.

Somehow, a fileless entry needs to be able to be merged with a real file in the library, by hand if necessary. It seems crazy that this isn't an option, because it would seem like the only purpose of a fileless entry would be to have a placeholder until you get the actual file. Instead, they seem like they are their separate library item. I must be missing something.

Rescan .cbl files to replace fileless/missing entries with book entries 3 years 6 months ago #39072

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 65
The only reliable way I've found to do it is to find the proper entry in the library, then add it to the list, then put it in the correct location, then remove the fileless entry. It's not as horrible as it sounds. Usually what I do is find the files I'm missing, do my best to locate them, scrape them, then re-add the list.

Rescan .cbl files to replace fileless/missing entries with book entries 3 years 6 months ago #39076

• fieldhouse
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
I've never really gotten the point of fileless entries as they currently are implemented. It seems like they're only useful if you're extremely OCD and you don't mind "tweaking" things constantly. Personally, I'd prefer to have things as automated and hands-off as possible. Culling fileless entries one at a time seems like busy work and I avoid using fileless until such a time as they can be associated with "real" entries.

It's frustrating because fileless entries could be really handy. Besides placeholders for missing files in a reading list I think it would be great to use them as an in-app "want" list. Also, like in my case where I keep multiple copies of some comics around it would be great to have a "parent" fileless entry that contained most of the metainformation about each comic and have each "real" file reference the fileless entry and only have the "real" file's specific data (like c2c, image resolution, scanner info, etc) added to the "real" file.

Pardon my ignorance, are fileless entries hidden as duplicates once a "real" file is added to the library? That would be semi-useful.

Rescan .cbl files to replace fileless/missing entries with book entries 3 years 6 months ago #39115

• Symmetry
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I'm currently very frustrated with this issue myself - I have the complete WildStorm reading order, and I downloaded the CBL from this forum. It's not able to find the files, though - so unless I go through and recreate a 973-page reading list by hand, I'm stuck. Is there any way around this, or a planned fix?

I think a good solution would be to handle it like Calibre: allow duplicate metadata entries, but also allow them to be merged, so an empty metadata entry can take the data from the file and still exist in its lists. A GUI button, context menu command, or keyboard shortcut for "assign selected empty book file(s) to library items" perhaps with user-inputted search strings (that are autofilled by the file) would also solve this problem.

Rescan .cbl files to replace fileless/missing entries with book entries 3 years 5 months ago #39602

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
A script could do this.
Either with an UI or automated.

The difference between a fileless and a linked entry is that the .FilePath entry is empty in the first case.
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Who's Online

We have 343 guests and 2 members online