Welcome, Guest
Share your ideas

TOPIC: Periodic saving of the DB, with backups

Periodic saving of the DB, with backups 3 years 4 months ago #39753

• Scuttle
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
After having some computer-problems I have encountered a few issues with the ComicRack-database I would love to see addressed in future versions:

The database doesn't seem to be saved to disk until you quit the program.

This has two very unfortunate consequences. First, if your computer crashes, your work will be completely lost. And with comicvine limiting scraping, this can mean many hours of re-scraping needing to be done.
Second, if you accidentally start a second instance of ComicRack you can really screw yourself over. I had this happened over the weekend. I had done some scraping and arranging in one instance. I minimized CR to do something else. A while later I, unwittingly, started a second instance of CR and did some other stuff. I noticed that the first instance was running and closed it.
All the changes done in the first instance were gone and overwritten by the changes in the second instance.

So, what I would like to see are two things:

* An option to automatically save the database periodically
* An option to, when saving, automatically make a timestamped backup of the database, and have the ability to keep a number of older backups on disk, just in case.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Periodic saving of the DB, with backups 3 years 3 months ago #40073

• Scuttle
  • Junior Boarder
Any updates, comments or lifesigns of any kind from the program author?

Periodic saving of the DB, with backups 3 years 3 months ago #40075

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
There is a plugin out there which will create a backup every time you launch CR.

code.google.com/p/cr-backup-manager/

What I usually do is restart after scraping a few comics or making changes.
This isn't quite as "automatic" as you probably intended, but it's the closest we have at the moment.
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alpharm

Periodic saving of the DB, with backups 3 years 3 months ago #40231

• Alpharm
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Nice, thank you! I was just researching what files I needed to backup, and this works great.

Periodic saving of the DB, with backups 3 years 1 month ago #40910

• Scuttle
  • Junior Boarder
Could we please get backups of the database? I just spent about an hour reorganizing the folder-structure of my books using Library organizer. Everything worked fine.
I then went to scrape a book, and CR crashed....

I am now waiting for comicvine to re-scrape about 6000 books that it thinks is "new" due to the fact that the books are in new folders.

If I had an option to automatically save the database every 5-10 minutes none of this would have been neccesary

Periodic saving of the DB, with backups 3 years 4 weeks ago #40914

• sensei6375
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
Scuttle wrote:
Could we please get backups of the database? I just spent about an hour reorganizing the folder-structure of my books using Library organizer. Everything worked fine.
I then went to scrape a book, and CR crashed....

I am now waiting for comicvine to re-scrape about 6000 books that it thinks is "new" due to the fact that the books are in new folders.

If I had an option to automatically save the database every 5-10 minutes none of this would have been neccesary

It won't help you now but here are a few tips for the future:

1. Have all files in cbz format and have Allow writing of book info into file checked (found under Advanced in the preferences)
2. Use the backup manager plugin. Read up on it and use it before and after any changes to the program.

A live auto backup feature would be mostly useful(I say mostly as what would happen if you make a change wrongly and it then autosaves - would definitely need an undo feature or multiple save points).

Periodic saving of the DB, with backups 3 years 4 weeks ago #40919

• sykoone
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
This was somewhat implemented with the ability to create an sql database instead of xml. If you can get it set up, the sql database saves with each change, so there's no backup necessary. It is a bit more of an advanced feature, so it isn't for everyone.
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Who's Online

We have 237 guests and 4 members online