Welcome, Guest
Share your ideas
  • Page:

TOPIC: Privacy issue - Alternate storage locations for cYo\ComicRack\Cache

Privacy issue - Alternate storage locations for cYo\ComicRack\Cache 3 years 1 month ago #40751

• randomuser
  • Fresh Boarder
rmagere wrote:
Oh I fully agree with you that randomuser would have done himself a better service by asking more politely rather than going down the privacy road :)

Politely dancing around a subject doesn't make it go away. Euphemisms makes it harder for everyone to see what solutions are available.

Also, that is exactly the fix I was seeking. BTW, the cache also contains page images.

Thanks!
Karma? LOL. Get a life. Worrying about website karma is similar to worrying about the weather conditions on the moon: Meaningless.
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by randomuser. Reason: broke the quote
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Privacy issue - Alternate storage locations for cYo\ComicRack\Cache 3 years 1 month ago #40775

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
sensei6375 wrote:
This is from the ComickRack manual 6th ed.

"If your C drive is short on space, you can change where the Temp and Cache files are stored. You can do this two ways: via a command switch or changing the ComicRack.ini file. Locate these lines in the comicrack.ini:

; TempPath =
; CachePath =

Remove the ; character and put in the full paths
after the = sign."
Thanks for posting something useful for the original poster.
I actually like it when I see people taking their personal digital privacy and security more seriously. At the least, these are moral concerns, and at worst, can be major legal concerns. Too many people don't realize how having practically their whole life being a simple PC/server search away can result in major data mining which could lead to many unwarranted forms of manipulations on micro and macro levels.
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by oraclexview.
The following user(s) said Thank You: randomuser

Privacy issue - Alternate storage locations for cYo\ComicRack\Cache 3 years 1 month ago #40779

• sensei6375
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
oraclexview wrote:
Thanks for posting something useful for the original poster.
I actually like it when I see people taking their personal digital privacy and security more seriously. At the least, these are moral concerns, and at worst, can be major legal concerns. Too many people don't realize how having practically their whole life being a simple PC/server search away can result in major data mining which could lead to many unwarranted forms of manipulations on micro and macro levels.

Your welcome. Glad i actually had something useful to post! You can never be to careful with PC security but we are getting to a point as a society where people won't know how their stuff works it just does. And they trust it not to reveal anything.

Privacy issue - Alternate storage locations for cYo\ComicRack\Cache 3 years 1 month ago #40856

• randomuser
  • Fresh Boarder
So many people are willing to expose every detail of their lives that they may as well just live in a glass box on display for all to see. Then they attribute all sorts of nefarious reasons why someone else would object to also living like that.

It's sad. I remember when people would become indignant and fractious when any government agency intruded on their lives. Now people point accusing fingers at you for desiring privacy and freedom from government intrusion.
Karma? LOL. Get a life. Worrying about website karma is similar to worrying about the weather conditions on the moon: Meaningless.

Privacy issue - Alternate storage locations for cYo\ComicRack\Cache 3 years 1 month ago #40865

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
randomuser wrote:
So many people are willing to expose every detail of their lives that they may as well just live in a glass box on display for all to see. Then they attribute all sorts of nefarious reasons why someone else would object to also living like that.

It's sad. I remember when people would become indignant and fractious when any government agency intruded on their lives. Now people point accusing fingers at you for desiring privacy and freedom from government intrusion.

I realize I was the major voice in this thread, so I feel like I should respond to this - this is NOT how I feel at all,, and I attempted to convey that but apparently did so poorly. Privacy is a major issue nowadays and many people are way too nonchalant about it and yeah, all that stuff that I'm not eloquent enough to restate any better than has already been said.

However, I see a major difference between "every detail of my life is available on social media" (which is the equivalent of your "living in a glass box") and feeling the need to sanitize and/or encrypt every single thing on local storage on my personal machine (regardless of the legality of those things). I just feel like if somebody already has that level of access, you're already in trouble, and short of incredibly paranoid security measures and/or a thermite dead man's switch in your PC chassis there's not much you can do to keep people out of your business at that point (again, regardless of the legality or legitimacy of said business, it's still YOUR business, and you're right to hope for your privacy - I just don't think that hope is realistic once your system is compromised.).

My comments in this thread were purely my pragmatic and lazy side speaking, and I don't mean to diminish anyone's viewpoint. I'm also glad there is a solution that works acceptably here for you. Even though I think it's a huge waste of energy ;)
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Shinrai.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Privacy issue - Alternate storage locations for cYo\ComicRack\Cache 3 years 3 weeks ago #40966

• actioncomics
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I won't go into detail of how to set this all up as the internet is full of tutorials, but I will describe what I do on my system, a side effect is security related.

Being someone that likes speed on my computer, I have created a RAMDisk and moved my cache directory to this drive instead.

Pros - Speed is way faster than even an SSD drive. Everything on this drive is erased after the computer shuts down.

Cons - All thumbnails need to be rebuilt after computer restarts. Takes away from your total RAM available.

Doing it this way can seem tricky to figure out but really easy once you do. Another option would be to run a portable version of ComicRack in an encrypted file and decrypting it when your computer powers on. Just a couple of ideas for you...there are options out there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: oraclexview, rmagere, randomuser

Privacy issue - Alternate storage locations for cYo\ComicRack\Cache 3 years 3 weeks ago #40970

• khaoohs
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I like the idea of using the RAMdisk for cache. Thanks.

How big did you configure your cache drive?

Privacy issue - Alternate storage locations for cYo\ComicRack\Cache 3 years 3 weeks ago #40976

• actioncomics
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk

this is the software I use, free version has 4GB limit on size. there are lots of tutorials online on how to use this. RAM drives act like hard drives but use your RAM
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds

Who's Online

We have 258 guests and 8 members online