Welcome, Guest
Share your ideas
  • Page:

TOPIC: network share

network share 2 years 10 months ago #41346

• fav
  • Fresh Boarder
I would like the possibility to browse a shared folder and read my comics through wifi or ftp.
Having over 2Tb of comics you might understand that wifi sync is not an option.
There are other readers out there that have this option, but they are a pain to set up and I like Comicrack more...
Would be nice to just have Comicrack running as a service on a server and be able to browse on my android device.

thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

network share 2 years 10 months ago #41351

• Fuzzyluzzi
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 44
I believe that it CBZ and CBR files are associated with CRA. If you are able to browse your networked computer with a file manager, you should be able to download and open them.
This obviously won't save reading positions. There have been discussions about how to save them, possibly with GDrive or Dropbox. But I don't believe anything has happened with that yet.

network share 2 years 9 months ago #41402

I would love this feature. I've got the same limitation and would greatly benefit from reading comics stored on my computer.

I would really like the ability to browse all of my comics that are loaded into my computer's ComicRack with my tablet. So, have the device ComicRack download cover thumbnails from the computer ComicRack so that I can browse every comic I have. Then when you select a comic to read , it downloads to the device. Make it so it only stores a certain amount of comics at a time, or make it so you can set a cache limit at like 500 megs or 1 gig. I would very much prefer waiting 30 seconds to a minute to download a comic than to continually remove and add comics to my sync list.

Basically, have ComicRack on the computer facilitate a shared network folder of the entire library. Then be able to browse the folder on our devices, and have it look just like the ComicRack interface. And lastly, when you click on a comic to read, it will download that single comic. Let us choose the number of comics or the maximum disk size they are allowed to take up.

This would be great for those of us with small disk sizes.

btw, you can use es file manager to accomplish this, but its not the beautiful comic list interface :p
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by simillarian.

network share 2 years 2 months ago #42775

• midwan
  • Fresh Boarder
This would be very useful for me as well.

I think the best approach would be to have a (separate?) Windows Service running, serving the library to any ComicRack clients (be it Win desktop ones or Android).

Ideally I would prefer that this happened using a web service, with some related configuration front-end which would allow someone to share it over the internet (having some credentials to connect). Something like the Plex Media Server for Comics is what I'd like to see... (if you don't know what that is, check it out here: plex.tv/).

network share 2 years 2 months ago #42776

• wmwadeii
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Have you looked at the Remote access function. This can be used to access your main PC running CR from any other PC. And if you have a dynamic DNS setup you can access them remotely as well. In the Remote sharing their is an option to allow saving and editing of the files too. With Tablets if you have the App you can setup share lists as well and have it only sync unread books along with limits to the number of comics to sync.

network share 2 years 2 months ago #42799

• midwan
  • Fresh Boarder
Remote access? Are you referring to the Library "Sharing" option of ComicRack perhaps?

That would work for other ComicRack instances running on a full Windows desktop, but not the Android version (which would still need to sync as you point out).

I would like to avoid having to sync just to read some comics, my preference would be to stream them from my server on-demand. While syncing has it's merits (for situations where network access is not possible for example), it can also be a bit of a hassle sometimes.

network share 2 years 2 months ago #42801

• Innuendo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
midwan wrote:
Remote access? Are you referring to the Library "Sharing" option of ComicRack perhaps?

I'm thinking he's talking about remote access as in remotely accessing the PC with RDP or VNC.

network share 2 years 2 months ago #42804

• midwan
  • Fresh Boarder
Hmm, I thought that might be the case as well.

Although that would "work", I'm seeing a few big problems with it. For example the network lag would be considerable (and nowhere near a local experience, where the comic is downloaded to your device and then navigated), controlling the UI would be problematic (desktop and tablet experiences are not the same when it comes to UI controls) and so on.

That's why I believe that a proper "server" is needed, which would provide a small API to allow "client" devices to connect to it and get the necessary data (comics, metadata, etc), then display them locally. That way the user experience could be optimal per device.

network share 2 years 2 months ago #42805

• Innuendo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
midwan wrote:
That's why I believe that a proper "server" is needed, which would provide a small API to allow "client" devices to connect to it and get the necessary data (comics, metadata, etc), then display them locally. That way the user experience could be optimal per device.

I agree that your proposed method is the proper way to do it and I'm pretty sure the other fellow wasn't debating that at all. He was just throwing out his suggestion as a stop-gap method so one could mimic that functionality now to some extent, albeit with some problems and inconveniences.

network share 2 years 2 months ago #42806

• burnshroom
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
This has been my only workaround to simply browse my comics library via Comicrack in android:

It's tedious as Comicrack loads the library each time it opens and that can take a LONG while.

Since then however I have simply started using Ubooquity, a small java based server that allows my to browse and read my entire library in a web browser on any tablet locally and remotely. I have even shared the server with others to let them read too.

Until CR comes up with something along these lines, this works for me.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds

Who's Online

We have 247 guests and one member online