Welcome, Guest
Share your ideas

TOPIC: Link/reference comics to each other via metadata

Link/reference comics to each other via metadata 2 years 1 month ago #43658

• hyperspacerebel
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
One neat feature that my brain keeps coming back to as I try to organize my unwieldy comic collection is the ability to create metadata fields like "Next comic", "Previous Comic", "Reprints", "Reprinted in", "Variant of", etc. and let us link other comics in the collection as values of those fields. In theory, I think that this part could be really easy, since every "book" has an id. So on a comic, the custom field "Next comic" could have the value of "a34ac6a1-7ee1-4954-8ce4-774a0a72d307". Then (and this I imagine would be more difficult to implement), if comicrack sees that a field is an id of another comic, instead of just displaying the id it would generate a "link" of that issue's name which we could click to load the linked comic in the library.

Sorry if I didn't explain that very well. In short, it would essentially be a way of referencing other comics from one comic's metadata, and given that information have a quick way of jumping from that comic to the referenced ones.
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by hyperspacerebel.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dockens, romsnesrom

Link/reference comics to each other via metadata 2 years 1 month ago #43662

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
I often think about this as a feature. Although I would want the field to be a linked list of pointers rather than a single pointer. Many comics have brancing points, and you may wish to go seperate ways after reading a comic.

The absolute ideal situation (One I don't expect to ever see) would be an advanced version of what Comixology does. Upon reading past the last page you would be presented with a graphical representation of the next issue in the series, and where applicable the next in the reading orders the comic belongs to.

If there were linked lists of pointers, you could also envision a seperate graphical representation of the branching reading orders, starting from comics that link to the current issue and continuing for a few issues forward. Once pointers were in place this could be done via an info panel. Indeed it would be possible to do this part now, with a custom field and a bit of coding, but it is not in my skill set.
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by jkthemac.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dockens, romsnesrom

Link/reference comics to each other via metadata 2 years 1 month ago #43718

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
The problem is that the same comic can be in lots of different lists and sequences.
I think reading lists tackle this problem nicely.

Link/reference comics to each other via metadata 2 years 1 month ago #43721

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
That's why the links should be on a list rather than a single reference. That way an issue could link link to any number of issues.

Reading lists are not really the same thing, and many of us don't really use reading lists anyway, preferring to build the list into the database itself with custom fields. But a custom field could never give the functionality of an actual link to another comic. Well it could but it would require a very clever side-panel or similarly added module.

Link/reference comics to each other via metadata 2 years 1 month ago #43725

• hyperspacerebel
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
cYo wrote:
The problem is that the same comic can be in lots of different lists and sequences.
I think reading lists tackle this problem nicely.

I kind of see that as a reason why lists aren't the solution to the problem. Given a single book and the desire to find all its related books (and related here could mean almost anything that the user wants it to mean), I would have to trawl through an arbitrary number of lists to do so, since every list is by its nature linear. Metadata, as jkthemac mentions, could contain all the related books in one spot.

Let me give you a use-case: I'm browsing through my collection and Fantasy Masterpieces #1 catches my eye. Now I could just read it, but looking at the description I see it's a reprint and that it's actually missing pages from the original. So I would definitely rather read the original if I have it. So rather than having to manually go to the search bar and hunt down Silver Surfer #1, I can just hit a link (in the info panel? a shortcut on the top bar? from a sort of graphical interface? or something else?) and be taken to the comic (preferably in the library itself, but just opening it automatically could work too). I don't think a list would really help with this use-case.

I understand if this is a bit too much functionality to easily implement though.

Link/reference comics to each other via metadata 2 years 1 month ago #43731

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
Another example, you are reading through one of those uber-lists online, like the X-Men Reading Order (yes I really am, wish me both luck and patience, as I'm coming up to the 90s any week now). You get to Uncanny X-Men #23 and you can go two ways at this point, either #24 or branch into the X-Men First Class run.

If you were crazy you could build massive and multiple reading lists to do something like this, or with a linking function you could type in the two links into the proposed field and voilà whenever you read UXM23 you have that choice.
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by jkthemac.

Link/reference comics to each other via metadata 2 years 4 weeks ago #43741

• dockens
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
This seems like a great idea to me.
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds

Who's Online

We have 202 guests and 3 members online