Welcome, Guest
Share your ideas

TOPIC: Reordering of position in Smart Lists

Reordering of position in Smart Lists 1 year 6 months ago #45487

• Silentgray
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I love to use the smart lists as it is a very useful tool to grab the comics i am looking at. However, a lot of the time I sort by Release Date. This is fine on the PC but now when i go to sync the files to my Android tablet, i cannot get the correct comics to sync. It either sync by position, series, publish date or a couple of others. None of these are the same order i wish to read the comics in.

With a simple list, i have the ability to sort the comics however i want and then reset the position. This would be nice to have in Smart lists as well.

Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Silentgray.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Reordering of position in Smart Lists 1 year 5 months ago #45535

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 65
I hear you. That would be great. When I'm creating smartlists that I want in a specific order I go to great lengths to include issue numbers, and actually to make a separate entry for each individual issue. It's time consuming and error-prone. Your method would be great. There's probably a good way to do it with an aftermarket script, I suspect. I think I wrote one to make my creation of smartlists in general easier, but never got it polished enough to release it.

I prefer smart lists to static lists because they can deal with changes to comic files. When I find duplicates I don't want to have to worry that I've silently removed an issue from a reading list, and Duplicate Manager isn't smart enough to know if a book is included in a static list. I'm not sure if Comic Rack even has something like that in the API. I suspect not.

Reordering of position in Smart Lists 1 year 3 months ago #45957

• Tseho
  • Fresh Boarder
I did a small plugin for saving the position of each book, when selecting books, into a custom field.
You can then sort your lists using this custom field.

You can check the code & download it here:
https://github.com/tseho/cr-save-position-in/releases
As usual, please backup your database before trying the plugin and try first on small samples.

Reordering of position in Smart Lists 1 year 3 months ago #45958

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 65
Does that translate across to the Android app? That's what I would need for it to really be useful. I don't think the Android app does anything with custom fields, but I could be wrong...

Reordering of position in Smart Lists 1 year 3 months ago #45959

• Tseho
  • Fresh Boarder
You're right, the Android app cannot sort with custom fields.
My process is:

I copy the list of comics from the ordered smart list into a static list, that way, the order is preserved.
I synchronize this static list and on the device synchronize options, I uncheck the "Sort" option.
On the Android app, I order the comics with the option "Not sorted".

Reordering of position in Smart Lists 1 year 3 months ago #45964

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
Another way to work around for syncing is to overwrite the Alt-Series and renumber Alt-number. I find this more successful on the iPad and you don't need to copy to a static list.

Reordering of position in Smart Lists 1 year 3 months ago #45965

• Tseho
  • Fresh Boarder
@jkthemac : I'm not fan of using the Alt-series and Alt-number fields for sorting.

The main interest of my plugin, IMO, is to be able to store several positions into a comic, it's useful when you have the same comics used in different lists/events.
What I usually do is to store the position in a custom field named "Position in <Name of the event>" and then, I can create a smartlist filtering only comics having a value in this custom field, and sorting this list with the custom position field.

I'm not saying this is the perfect solution, It's just the one working for me.

Reordering of position in Smart Lists 1 year 3 months ago #45967

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
I wasn't commenting on the viability or otherwise of your solution, just offering alternatives. I don't know if it is an iPad thing but I have found inconsistencies using the solution you suggest.

But, I immediately downloaded your plugin to give it a try because I also do a lot of sorting events via smartlists and will probably find a use for it. My main ethos is put the data into the database rather than rely on smartlists.
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds

Who's Online

We have 304 guests and 2 members online