Welcome, Guest
Share your ideas

TOPIC: ComicRack for Linux?

ComicRack for Linux? 7 years 8 months ago #6362

• yuginta
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi, i am a fan of ComicRack, i know it when i used Windows, but now, i'm not, i'm using Linux (Ubuntu to be exact), i want to know, does ComicRack released a version for Linux?

If it doesn't, can u make one? Am i request at a right place? If not, u can move it, thanks

That's the feature i want, ComicRack for Linux, why only for Windows?
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chuckqt

Re: ComicRack for Linux? 7 years 8 months ago #6363

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
It is still a goal to get it running on Linux. My son has Ubuntu on his laptop and always complains about comix :)

Currently the mono framework (ComicRack needs this to run on linux) has just too many bugs to make it really usable. But I still check out every new release :/
The following user(s) said Thank You: adrian_vg

Re: ComicRack for Linux? 7 years 8 months ago #6368

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
That brings back old memories... not so old, though.

I used Ubuntu from 8.04 to 9.10. It was an excellent OS. I found it better, and not only comparable, to windows (vista was used those days, seven wasn't released). Almost all softwares that you can ask were there except a good software for managing comics.

Comix was the only software that had a 'library' function, but it didn't come even close to CR. The last update of comix was way back in April 2009. Comix is almost primitive when compared to CR, but that's what we have in linux. Here is what comix's library looks like:

I tried my best to run CR in linux, and only partially succeeded at times. I used wine (no, no not what you think.. w.i.n.e. is a linux software which runs many windows programs fine), I used virtualOS, VMware.. but, the results were, overall, disappointing.

Then came Ubuntu version 9.10 (Karmic koala), when they really screwed up for the first time. Microsoft simultaneously had a masterstroke in Windows 7,which, in my humble opinion, is their best OS till date (yes, better than XP). This, combined by my frustration for not being able to use CR, made my decision to switch-over to windows as my main OS. Now, I double-boot, but rarely use ubuntu. The next version 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) is due next month, and I eagerly await it.

However, I do not have much hope left that CR will be there for linux in any foreseeable future. Maybe, a basic linux version could be released out there, which other developers can carry on improving. The best bet may be to improve upon the source code of Comix.

However, I hope cYo invests his precious time in advancing the windows version to an ultimate dream: ComicRack having features that match a combination of iTunes & firefox.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 7 years 8 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: ComicRack for Linux? 7 years 8 months ago #6569

• dupont
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm using CR on Karmic thru virtualbox. Using it just for CR.

The 20000+ library is on a ntfs partition and shared with samba. It's decent for browsing the library and reading, conversion tool is way too slow this way but still usable.
Hope there will be a linux version one day because I don't intend to return to windows anymore.

Re:ComicRack for Linux? 7 years 8 months ago #6908

• masterLoki
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi everyone, I discovered ComicRack sometime ago, been using it for a while and know I totally love it, though it wasn't as simple to use from the beginning, now I beginning to master it.

But since I use Windows and Linux on a regular basis I'd like to see a Linux version of ComicRack. So if there's any way I can help, let me know.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chuckqt

Re:ComicRack for Linux? 7 years 7 months ago #7136

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Recently I came across this video (July 31, 2008) showing a test build of ComicRack running on Ubuntu.

Whatever happened to the project ? :unsure:
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: ComicRack for Linux? 7 years 7 months ago #7152

• Alex
  • Fresh Boarder
I switched from Windows to Linux not long after discovering ComicRack - which happened to be around about the same time that work on a Linux port was first announced. I assumed that a stable Linux version would probably take some time and eventually ended up settling on Okular as an intermediary comic reader; despite the fact that it doesn't offer any library functionality.

So anyway, today, roughly 2 years after making the switch, I decided to look in and see how things were going.
Currently the mono framework (ComicRack needs this to run on linux) has just too many bugs to make it really usable. But I still check out every new release :/

I think that that tells me pretty much everything I need to know. Cheers. Keep up the good work. Maybe one day.

Re: ComicRack for Linux? 7 years 5 months ago #8330

• kge
  • Fresh Boarder
Even more primitive, remember that you can view e-comix with Okular, which is usually installed along with KDE. I don't know if you can make Dolphin (or any other file browser for that matter) to use Okular to produce preview icons...

But yeah, I'd prefer to be able to run CR natively on linux.

Re:ComicRack for Linux? 7 years 2 months ago #10329

I have to add my voice to this discussion. We Linux users maybe in he minority, but we are the future. As people become more and more computer savvy over all. More disillusioned users are looking for alternatives to windows. Mac is enjoying it's ride, but this is simply trading one master for another.

Since making the switch to Linux there isn't one thing on my computer that I haven't been able to do. I am not a gamer so that doesn't factor in. Yes like as a Linux user has been great . . . that is until the day I discovered Comic Rack.

The program does everything I want a management program to do and more. I want to stand on the roof tops and tell everyone (and since I have my own podcast at alt3redegos.com I can) Comic Rack is hands down the best platform for eComics and paper comics as well. It just doesn't run on Linux.

Please, take pity on us poor Linux users! I would much rather give say $50 for a program that does all that Comic Rack does, but only if it can do all this in Linux. Until then I am forced to either change half the titles of my collection to jive with windows instead of Linux so I can use Comic Rack, or keep looking. I hope I don't have to do either.

Re:ComicRack for Linux? 7 years 2 months ago #10330

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
My home runs a mix.

My personal computer is a Windows 7 (mainly because of professional reasons and the non existence of good photo software for linux). But I've an up to date Ubuntu VM for development needs.
Our living room computer is an Ubuntu desktop.
My media center is now also an Ubuntu with xbmc in an autologin session.
My son runs an Ubuntu laptop.
My girlfriend runs a new Windows 7 laptop.
My main reading Tablet PC is now Windows 7.
My old one still runs Windows XP Tablet Edition.
For development and curiosity I've also got a second gen Mac mini.
The media server for the home is a Ubuntu Server distro VM running on top of an old Windows XP installation.

So there's no bias towards windows here. But the facts are:
* I started ComicRack as a .NET application (as a professional c# developer an easy choice)
* The problem with Mono is, that it always is 2 steps behind the official release from Microsoft. Maybe the only solution is to checkout a year old version of ComicRack and try again to port this one.
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds

Who's Online

We have 287 guests and no members online