Welcome, Guest
Share your ideas

TOPIC: ComicRack for Linux?

Re:ComicRack for Linux? 7 years 2 months ago #10614

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
I just installed 10.10 on my T101MT and it's awesome... pity CR doesn't run on it... sigh
Well, maybe one day... :D
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:ComicRack for Linux? 7 years 1 month ago #10758

• mr.clix
  • Junior Boarder
  • Bang! Bang!
600WPMPO wrote:
Well guys, currently using Ubuntu 10.10, and its simply great this time..!!

The only 2 things that stop me from fully moving on to linux (than using a dual-boot) are ComicRack and my iPod.

sigh..:(
I'm in the exact same boat, but add Photoshop. I love Gimp, but it's just not the same.

Re: ComicRack for Linux? 6 years 3 months ago #16316

• marinos35
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
What's the status of the linux port?

According to the www.mono-project.com/Compatibility
the .net 4 compatibility is pretty high.

I checked the latest windows release with the Migration Analyzer
mono-framework.com/MoMA
for all the files (ddl,exe...) at the main directory and it returned

Totals Missing 95 Not Implemented 17 Todo 2116 P/Invoke 366
www.mono-project.com/MoMA_-_Issue_Descriptions

Re: ComicRack for Linux? 6 years 2 months ago #16942

• Flaser
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Dear cYo!

As someone who has recently taken a dive into development under the Dotnet Framework , I wonder what application framework are you using to develop Comic Rack. WPF? ASP.NET?

Beyond hoping for Mono getting its act together (highly unlikely, given how hostile Microsoft is toward them and Linux altogether), have you looked into just porting the code to another language that can be either run on multiple platforms (i.e. Java) or compiled for different platforms (e.g. GTK + C++)?

I know this could be a major headache depending on how much you rely on built-in classes or how different your code would have to be to fit another language.

What I'd be really interested in though, is a Stand-Alone Server that can run on Linux, since a lot of cheap hosting sites offer the user a limited Linux account that's also good for running some applications/servlets and with the increased penetration of Linux into gadgets, installing such a servlet/application on a router/gadget of your choice is also a distinct possibility.
Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Flaser.

Re: ComicRack for Linux? 4 years 8 months ago #31646

• adrian_vg
  • Fresh Boarder
cYo wrote:
It is still a goal to get it running on Linux. My son has Ubuntu on his laptop and always complains about comix :)

Currently the mono framework (ComicRack needs this to run on linux) has just too many bugs to make it really usable. But I still check out every new release :/

Hi there!

Has there been any further development on this track for CR on linux?

Thanks.
--
/AvG

Re: ComicRack for Linux? 4 years 8 months ago #31649

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
Last week I spent a day and tried to get ComicRack running with the current version of Mono. I kinda got it running, but in a totally unusable state.
The WinForms layer in Mono can not be used for anything beyond very simple applications.

What I think about is making some GTK based app for OS X/Linux that can at least manage a library (lists, smartlists) and be a sync/network server. For reading it can call out to some existing readers.
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by cYo.

Re: ComicRack for Linux? 4 years 8 months ago #31659

• adrian_vg
  • Fresh Boarder
cYo wrote:
Last week I spent a day and tried to get ComicRack running with the current version of Mono. I kinda got it running, but in a totally unusable state.
The WinForms layer in Mono can not be used for anything beyond very simple applications.

What I think about is making some GTK based app for OS X/Linux that can at least manage a library (lists, smartlists) and be a sync/network server. For reading it can call out to some existing readers.

Cool! Hope springs eternal!

I hope you can manage something usable on linux in a near future.
--
/AvG
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by adrian_vg.

Re: ComicRack for Linux? 4 years 8 months ago #31664

• Flaser
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
cYo wrote:

What about a CLI only snyc/network server? Remember, there are a lot of low "power" (both in terms of consumption and computing) devices out there running Linux and there's an increasing tendency to use these (with DD-WRT or OpenWRT, for example) as cheap NAS and home server solutions.

Re: ComicRack for Linux? 4 years 8 months ago #31669

• ComicTagger
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
A non-GUI ComicRack library server for Linux/Mac would be great! A web UI is all it would need.

Re: ComicRack for Linux? 4 years 8 months ago #31697

• Kirtai
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
If you do add a gui to it, may I suggest QT rather than GTK+ due to its cross platform support?
Time to create page: 0.362 seconds

Who's Online

We have 252 guests and 2 members online