Welcome, Guest
Share your ideas

TOPIC: ComicRack for Linux?

Re: ComicRack for Linux? 4 years 6 months ago #31818

• GeoRW
  • Fresh Boarder
ACBF Viewer for linux is very usable and actively developed. It has comic books library (in recent commits also switching between normal view and compact view). Project is here: launchpad.net/acbf
Screenshots here: plus.google.com/photos/11098984347698887.../5692035097709963025
Shouldn't be a big problem to write some script to convert between comicinfo files and acbf files. There's nothing better for linux AFAIK.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:ComicRack for Linux? 4 years 6 months ago #31858

• Dancer
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Yeah there is always one thing that turns me back from linux. When Iast tried it used it for my tv comp, but I couldn't watch netfliks. I feel your sigh.

Re: ComicRack for Linux? 4 years 5 months ago #33658

• kedster
  • Fresh Boarder
OK I am really really looking to hear more about linux tools coming, I would love to have the library and wifi to android sync....those are all i really need, as for the reader there are already plenty of good readers. I will buy the full android version (or donate if that does the project better) if a linux version with these featres if made.

A comic rack library tool of the same quality as comicrack windows and then a sync tool for my phone. Please!!!

i have made an account just to keep an eye on this thread.

Please and thanks
Jordan
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by kedster.

Re: ComicRack for Linux? 4 years 4 months ago #33879

• eyeonus
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I definitely recommend switching to a cross-platform language.Not Mono, obviously, since you've had no luck there, but there are other options available, such as Qt.

The languages are very similar, as they're both based on C++, so while I don't actually know, my guess is it wouldn't be difficult to port CR over- and Qt apps work on Windows and Mac as well as Linux, so that's a double-shot of awesome.

In the meantime, there's still WINE.

Re: ComicRack for Linux? 4 years 4 months ago #33886

• kedster
  • Fresh Boarder
I am not a dev, but i do try to read and watch and learn, and QT5 is being adotped by ubuntu and kde, more and more apps for mac are being written in it (and ported to linux easlily) and windows has tones of amazing things using qt, I AGREE with eyeonus 100%

Re: ComicRack for Linux? 4 years 4 months ago #33903

• wojosama
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 45
I think at this point with how complex the program is, it's just unrealistic to convert it to another programming language. Difficulty aside, the time it would take would be staggering.

Obviously I don't speak for cYo, and don't know his thoughts on the matter. I just personally think its extremely unlikely to happen.
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by wojosama.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: ComicRack for Linux? 4 years 4 months ago #33919

• kedster
  • Fresh Boarder
I am not trying to justify, or force this on cYo, but porting to a new language isnt as hard as it sounds, its not a total rewrite, infact i beleieve QT even has a auto converter that does a majority of the work and leaves the author with some ends to tie. The harder part would be really for cYo to learn another language, and be proficient in it.

Re: ComicRack for Linux? 4 years 4 months ago #33925

• eyeonus
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
And since both C#, which he is using now, and Qt are both based on C++, it wouldn't be difficult at all for cYo to become as good at programming in Qt as he is currently in C#.

Anyone who's been programming for awhile is likely to notice that's there's really only three programming languages- functional, OOP, and interpreted. Beyond that, the only differences are syntax and library.

Re: ComicRack for Linux? 3 years 9 months ago #37786

• Nightfall
  • Fresh Boarder
This thread is quite old and it seems pretty obvious that we will not see a Linux port, so how about a happy medium?

You're currently asking 9 bucks for the app on Google Play store to remove ads and add sync functionality for those with Windows. For us Linux users you're asking 9 bucks solely to remove ads. How about a third option where you charge $3.99 (or whatever you deem appropriate) to ONLY remove ads and keep the sync functionality locked for the people that are using Mac/Linux and cannot use said feature to begin with?

Just my thoughts. I love the app and would also love to support you but almost 10 dollars just to remove an ad seems a little steep. Maybe I'm just cheap?

Keep up the great work!
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds

Who's Online

We have 161 guests and 6 members online