Welcome, Guest
Share your ideas
  • Page:

TOPIC: RAR encoding by command-line launching

RAR encoding by command-line launching 11 years 9 months ago #651

Cyo,

I grabbed the source code of a \"PDF2CBR\" delphi application that uses a smart method to encode RAR files. It launches RAR.EXE (command-line version) supplying all required parameters.

It uses a machine-specific implementation to \"execute and wait\" RAR.EXE, and thus working synchronously. By \"machine-specific\", I mean it uses standard Win32 API calls, which are avoided by the .Net standard.

I have somewhere here a sample delphi code for launching a console (command-line) application like \"ipconfig\" and get its console output. It also uses the Win32 API approach.

I know you can't embed rar.exe with ComicRack, but if you add an extra parameter to the config dialog (path to rar.exe), this could implement the \"Create CBR\" without licensing complains.
Last Edit: 11 years 9 months ago by clayton.aguiar.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:RAR encoding by command-line launching 11 years 8 months ago #824

• codepath
  • Fresh Boarder
I had been thinking about the same thing for a while. It occured to me when I was entering the path to my antivirus exe into WinZip.

The same thing could be done for ComicRack and WinRAR (for those who have it installed).

You could even have CR auto-check the default install path for WinRAR to make it easier.

That would be awesome!

codepath

Re:RAR encoding by command-line launching 11 years 5 months ago #1126

• codepath
  • Fresh Boarder
Cyo,

Any thoughts on this one?

codepath

Re:RAR encoding by command-line launching 11 years 3 months ago #1322

• AlucardNoir
  • Senior Boarder
  • MangAnime Vampire AlucardNoir
Interesting idea, this can overcome the small problem that dose not permit CR to write meta data in it's archives [RAR permitting the adding of new files in the archive under certain conditions], of course this dose also imply that the user has to have WinRAR installed, but it still is a solution to the meta data loss when moving eComics, reinstalling windows and other such minor meta data losing problems.
MangAnime Vampire AlucardNoir

Re:RAR encoding by command-line launching 11 years 3 months ago #1324

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 683
rar is bad, rar is evil, rar is proprietary. Simple as that :)
I stated often, that if i had it my way, all eComics would be cbz.

What is it with rar? The only advantage I see is that the extension cbr looks nicer.

I will not put any work into writing rar files :)
Last Edit: 11 years 3 months ago by cYo.

Re:RAR encoding by command-line launching 11 years 3 months ago #1370

• AlucardNoir
  • Senior Boarder
Hm, so no .cbr planed, but what about a new 7zip based ecomic format, dunno .cb7 or something, after all, 7zip is the only one to compere to .rar in compresion capacity, and the only real drawback of it is the recovery record, but since zip lack it also wouldn't a 7zip ecomic format be preferable to the old .cbz, .cbt and .cba? not to mention .pdf

Re:RAR encoding by command-line launching 11 years 3 months ago #1372

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 683
next release of ComicRack will have support for reading 7z eComics. 7z has the problem that it supports (as rar does) solid archives, which can be VERY slow to work with.

Compression is a none issue, as jpeg images are not further compressible anyway.

Re:RAR encoding by command-line launching 11 years 3 months ago #1373

• AlucardNoir
  • Senior Boarder
.jpeg not, but not all comics are in .jpg some are .png, .gif and i've even encountered high quality .tiff releases of comics, so for the other formats, especially .tif and .png - .7z and .rar are the preferable format [not to mention .rar has recovery record]

Edit: not to be to annoying but can you make sure the .7z archives aren't named .7z, name then how you want [.cb7 or .cb7z seam to be the logical predecessors of the .cbt .cbz and .cbr i think] but make sure there not .7z so that no errors occur wile searching for files in the files for the library or so we get .7z files opened with CR, tx for listening :)
Last Edit: 11 years 3 months ago by AlucardNoir.

Re:RAR encoding by command-line launching 11 years 3 months ago #1476

• Zulithe
  • Fresh Boarder
better rar support would really be nice. I wish you would reconsider. Most e-comics you find are rar archives and that is unlikely to change for a long time.

You ask "what is it with rar?" and what advantages there are. Well, here are some.

a) as i mentioned, most existing e-comics are in rar format and virtually all new e-comics i have seen are also in rar format. So clearly better rar support would improve the user-friendliness of ComicRack.
b) building off of a), this improved accessibility which would allow ComicRack to write data to rar files would improve the popularity of embedding metadata into e-comic files which I think is a really great concept and anything we can do to further the ease and popularity of it, is worth looking into.
c) converting my thousands of existing e-comics into cbz or cb7 would be the most mind-numming waste of time I can fathom. I would much rather a program that can work with my existing files.
d) rar is still better compression than zip. Not as much as 7z, no, but still there is something to be said about saving a few KB of disc space when we are talking about collections of e-comics that span thousands of issues.
c) i don't want to have to convert all e-comics in the future from rar to cbz/cb7 if i can avoid it, since virtually 100% of the time, they are cbr files.

I could think of a lot more...

cYO please consider giving more of a look at rar support. :)

Re:RAR encoding by command-line launching 11 years 3 months ago #1477

• Zulithe
  • Fresh Boarder
as an aside, i just wanted to propose something.

I noticed the news post about donations. It is truly saddening that this awesome program isn't getting more donations!!

One program I know of, the developer created a board with feature requests. Donators could vote for a particular feature and it would rise higher on the list of priorities. Maybe we could persuade you to add better rar support this way ^.^ Just a thought!!

for reference, here is the board, which they call the 'wall of features' I mentioned:
rptools.net/wallOfFeatures/wof1_3.php
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds

Who's Online

We have 82 guests and no members online