Welcome, Guest
Share your ideas

TOPIC: Recognize the year in a filename, instead of as a number

Recognize the year in a filename, instead of as a number 9 years 10 months ago #873

• dfuse
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Right now when presented with 2 numbers in a filename, for example "Hypothetic comic 08 2008 noads FrankBlack-DCP.cbr", ComicRack will always use 2008 as the number, and will put the 08 in the title. Could you add a check when parsing the numbers for this? When you have 2 numbers and one is four digits long and the other 2, it's highly likely the one with four digits will be the year. In fact, I think you could simplify this to always considering numbers with 4 digits as a year.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Recognize the year in a filename, instead of as a number 9 years 10 months ago #875

• jmuprhy
  • Fresh Boarder
4 digits as year? In 11 years, "Action" will hit issue 1000. In 13 years "Detective" will hit 1000. Does your collection have any e-comics older than 13 years?

jm

Re:Recognize the year in a filename, instead of as a number 9 years 10 months ago #876

• dfuse
  • Senior Boarder
While that is true, right now 99% of the filenames with years in them are wrongly guessed. With my feature request 1% would be wrongly guessed (action & detective). Even then, you could do an extra check : if you have multiple numbers with 4 digits, the ones closest to the current year will probably be the year, the other one will be the series number. Now you :)

Re:Recognize the year in a filename, instead of as a number 9 years 10 months ago #889

• nharding
  • Fresh Boarder
I've been writing some rename functions for comics on Pfrank, one of the things I do is check the date and try and format it. So Superman 17 Dec 41, would get renamed to Superman 17 (1941-12). It's actually quite complex to handle the different formats, here are some of the problems you might face. 2000 AD (the comic) is a weekly title and there are 1560 issues so far, there are also comics like Spiderman 2099, and Space 1999. When trying to find the issue number I always look for # in front of the number, since that is not going to be the date. 4 digit values are assumed to be the year if it is between 1900-2098.

Re:Recognize the year in a filename, instead of as a number 9 years 10 months ago #890

• dfuse
  • Senior Boarder
Yes I know, date parsing is a pain, I've been there. However what I'm proposing is not date parsing, just distinguishing between numbers and determining which one is the comic number.
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds

Who's Online

We have 271 guests and 2 members online